Filling 1/4" gap in furniture

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by yellowtruck75 posted 04-11-2011 02:53 AM 1122 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View yellowtruck75's profile


469 posts in 3090 days

04-11-2011 02:53 AM

I am building a book case that will be painted black and I have a 1/4” gap down the back. When I installed the back plywood I neglected to notice that it was undersized by ~1/4”. The back acts as a stabilizer so the gap won’t hurt anything but I need something to close it up. I can’t cut a piece to fit in because the gap is inconsistent. Should I use paint grade caulk like for windows or something else. Remember this piece will be painted so it won’t be noticeable.


2 replies so far

View drewnahant's profile


222 posts in 3112 days

#1 posted 04-11-2011 02:57 AM

I would cut a strip to fill most of it, just cut it to the narrowest measurement, then use acrylic latex caulk. Filling with caulk alone will have shrinkage issues, even if you fill, let it dry and fill again, the stuff shrinks, creates an ugly well, and can even pull away from the edges, 1/4 is just too much in my opinion.

View bubinga's profile


861 posts in 2690 days

#2 posted 04-11-2011 04:39 AM

I would cut a strip to fill all of it

-- E J ------- Always Keep a Firm Grip on Your Tool

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics