Trying to find a reference for different parts of a desk

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by Woodbutchery posted 02-14-2018 03:19 AM 325 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Woodbutchery's profile


409 posts in 3671 days

02-14-2018 03:19 AM

Trying to find the various and sundry nomenclature related to parts of a desk. In particular, I’m interested in the piece that joins across the back between the two side “stretchers”(?) that appear to form either a shelf or a foot rest or both.


-- Making scrap with zen-like precision - Woodbutchery

3 replies so far

View Drek55's profile


6 posts in 181 days

#1 posted 02-20-2018 02:57 PM

View Woodbutchery's profile


409 posts in 3671 days

#2 posted 02-22-2018 04:41 AM

While a nice plan, it’s not what I’m looking for.

Which may not exist.

Or it may be for standing desks and I just didn’t know it.

Basically desktop <check> aprons<check> drawers<check> legs<check> bottom rails<check> feet (optional)<check>

I have seen desks that had a board running from side rail to side rail along the back half of the rail, often done with a through tenon. Just trying to find the name of that piece.

-- Making scrap with zen-like precision - Woodbutchery

View bondogaposis's profile


4898 posts in 2436 days

#3 posted 02-22-2018 02:10 PM

Generally in all furniture, stiles are verticals and rails are horizontals.

-- Bondo Gaposis

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics