I’m in the market for a dedicated mortiser. I would appreciate any input regarding the following:
1) Does anyone have a particular square chisel mortiser that they like/ hate?
2) Having quality heavy plunge routers, should I make a jig instead?
3) Is there any argument for the expense of a Leigh, etc.?
4) Should I build a horizontal system instead?
5) I don’t like the idea of the Domino, etc. (please forgive me); should I reconsider?
Any comments greatly appreciated. I’ve been hand-chopping mortises for a few days now & my old benchtop mortiser is out of commission. I like the idea of a dedicated station that sits in a corner of the shop, all the willing to cut square holes in stuff. I really like the Powermatic but it’s a bit pricey (go figure).
1) the JET 1/2HP at $300
2) the Delta 1/2 HP at $275
3) the ShopFox 3/4 HP at $240
4) the Powermatic 3/4 HP at $440
5) the Grizzly 1/2 HP at $225
6) the Laguna 1hp (and 300 pounds, LOL) at $775
7) the Steel City at $320
8) the General at $500
9) the Powermatic with tillter for $1150
10) or heck, the Laguna multifunction at >$5000 (big lol)
-- My dad and I built a 65 chev pick up.I killed trannys in that thing for some reason-Hog