|Forum topic by FaTToaD||posted 03-08-2011 08:28 PM||1550 views||0 times favorited||8 replies|
03-08-2011 08:28 PM
I know there are a ton of post on LJ’s about dust collection, I think I’ve read most of them over the last week, but I’m still have some questions.
First, a little background.
My shop is a two car garage with all the tools in horseshoe shape around the center. A workbench, miter saw station, fridge, W/D, sink, deep freeze, and shelves take up pretty much all of the wall space, so most of my tools are not against a wall, unless you count the garage door.
I got a 1HP Delta DC with a chip separator the other day I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out how to implement it with my shop setup. I absolutely do not want to move it from tool to tool, so I got some 4” ABS pipe a few joints that break off to a 2.5”. My current plan is to run two 4” feeds, each about 6’ in length (the advantage to my horseshoe setup). One goes to my TS with a couple of 2.5” drops for my OSS, Scroll Saw, etc. The other goes to my router table with some 2.5” drops for the DP, BS, and jointer. My bench top Grizzly jointer only has a 2.5” dust port but it seems to work well. Each of these tools will have blast gate to control the air: 4” at the TS and router table, and 2.5” gates at the other tools.
Now for my questions:
- I know this may not be the best setup, but will it work? One day I may move towards a 2HP like HF but it’s such a small area and I only use one tool at a time so I think it should be ok for now.
- I currently have all my tools on one circuit. It works, like I said I only use one tool at a time. I tested my iSocket with the DC and every tool can turn the DC on at the same time without a problem, I even tried it with a couple tools to see if I could trip the breaker, but everything seems fine. Will this cause too much wear and tear on the DC? I’d really rather not leave it on the whole time, it’s quieter than my shop vac, but it’s not quite.
- How do ya’ll connect your mains to your flex tubing? I found that my spare 2.5” shop vac hoses fit into the 2.5” ABS joint, but I’m not sure how to seal it. I saw Rockler has some adapters but I was hoping to go a cheaper route, like duct tape.
- The Delta DC has a bag filter that I’d like to replace with a cartridge. Does Wynn or anyone else sell one that will fit this DC? I haven’t had much luck finding anything yet.
- It also cloth bag on the bottom, would I better off using a clear plastic bag? I figure fine dust is escaping through there as well as the bag on top.
I hope this isn’t too much at once, but like I said, I’ve spent the last few days trying to figure this all out. Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks.