What is this tool and what was it used for? Old Tool ID

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Dan posted 02-23-2011 05:19 PM 1223 views 0 times favorited 6 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Dan's profile


3630 posts in 3023 days

02-23-2011 05:19 PM

I recently got another box of old tools for a few bucks and this was in the box. The only marking I have found is the Dunlap sticker. There is clamp on the back that looks like it would be used to clamp this to a bench top. The bar with the eye bolt turns and can be pulled forward and pushed back. My best guess is its some kind of tool for bending sheet metal or veneers.

I just found it interesting and would like to know what it is.


-- Dan - "Collector of Hand Planes"

6 replies so far

View Dennisgrosen's profile


10880 posts in 3258 days

#1 posted 02-23-2011 06:16 PM

not a clue , sorry I canĀ“t help you not even with a wild gess :-(

good luck

View Dragonsrite's profile


136 posts in 3540 days

#2 posted 02-23-2011 06:48 PM

I saw one of those at a garage sale last summer. I was told it was a saw vise.

-- Dragonsrite, Minnesota

View Loren's profile


10477 posts in 3791 days

#3 posted 02-23-2011 06:49 PM

Saw sharpening vise.

View Lee Barker's profile

Lee Barker

2170 posts in 2993 days

#4 posted 02-23-2011 06:52 PM

Does the bottom wing screw have a fixed end it can snug to? Can you imagine it clamping to a sawhorse? That would cinch it as a saw vise. Early carpenters sharpened and set their saw on the job site. This looks small enough to store in a carpenter’s toolbox (those nifty gambrel-roof style ones with a slot so the framing square’s short leg would stick out the top).

-- " his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

View Dan's profile


3630 posts in 3023 days

#5 posted 02-23-2011 06:56 PM

Thanks guys! I was way off on my guess… I searched old Dunlap saw vise and I did find some info on it. I can actually use one of these as I planned on learning how to sharpen my own saws. I might as well clean it up and see how it works.

Thanks again!

-- Dan - "Collector of Hand Planes"

View Dave's profile


11429 posts in 2983 days

#6 posted 02-24-2011 02:49 PM

a remote float valve adjuster, sky hook, muffler bearing, ohhh I give up. sorry not a clue.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are."

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics