• Advertise with us

« back to Site Feedback forum

Forum topic by Trillium posted 02-03-2011 12:54 AM 2161 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Trillium's profile


58 posts in 2674 days

02-03-2011 12:54 AM

Topic tags/keywords: pen pens acrylic acrylester resin polyurethane question

Anyone have experience with salvaging burl-cap edges for an acrylic/wood pen blank?
I have actually seen a blank like this it can be done, just got to figure out what kind of acrylic..poly..resin whatever, to use. I have FAQ’d and Googled my brains out…. I have even contacted a “Plastics ” specialty retailer who chuckled and refrained from giving any advice.

-- Lou

3 replies so far

View KayBee's profile


1083 posts in 3240 days

#1 posted 02-03-2011 04:14 AM

You might try There are some people over there that are into different types of castings.

-- Karen - a little bit of stupid goes a long way

View ChrisForthofer's profile


150 posts in 3061 days

#2 posted 02-03-2011 05:06 AM

2 things come to mind:

A potting resin or encapsulant resin:

A wood hardener:

From your description its not clear exactly which you are looking for but those should work.


-- -Director of slipshod craftsmanship and attention deficit woodworking

View Trillium's profile


58 posts in 2674 days

#3 posted 02-04-2011 05:03 AM

...making headway on this! Apparently it is a Reichold chemicals polyester/acrylic resin….. retail saels can be had if ya want 5 gallons at a time…. the MSDS on this stuff makes me think twice though. The jury is still out tho….. more to come.

-- Lou

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics