fretwork / carved panels or lattice

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by Shawn1 posted 01-17-2011 07:32 PM 2254 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Shawn1's profile


1 post in 3611 days

01-17-2011 07:32 PM

Anyone aware of a source to get fretwork panels or lattice?

I’m looking to build a book case that will have lattice or fretwork panels within a stile/rail construction for the sides. I don’t really have the time or talent to scroll saw my own and was hoping to be able buy it in panel form. I think Rockler carries some custom wooden lattice, but it’s pretty expensive.

Any suggestions?


2 replies so far

View William's profile


9950 posts in 3017 days

#1 posted 01-26-2011 05:36 AM

I have seen a bookcase before that was built I think similar to what you’re trying to do. It was done with fence lattice like you buy at Home Depot. They got the unfinished and just used a finish of choice on it. They also sell the treated kind, but I don’t think it would look too good on a bookcase.
If you’re referring to what I have seen on other work, the kind that is just flat with squares cut out, I don’t know of any place to buy it, Not for a reasonable price anyway.
What size pieces are you needing. I have cut smaller pieces for two other members on Lumberjocks before. I do a lot of scroll saw work. If you need a reference, let me know and I’ll give you the name of one of them and they can vouch for my work. I’d have to make sure with them of course that it’s alright. All they did was ship me the wood with the pattern they wanted cut. I cut it and shipped it back to them. All I asked from them was the cost of shipping. All they had to do was find out what it cost to ship it to me and include a check for that amount to ship it back. It usually costs the same both ways. One of those guys sent me a check paying me anyway, but I done it just to help out. I wasn’t expecting that.


View rhuda's profile


1 post in 2694 days

#2 posted 07-03-2011 05:16 PM

There is a new company that makes fretwork panels from a composite that is very reasonalbe and they will make them in custom sizes. The product is called O’verlays. Take a look.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics