LumberJocks

A Simple and NEW take (maybe) on a overarm dust shroud

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by kocgolf posted 08-02-2017 02:33 PM 410 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

267 posts in 2013 days


08-02-2017 02:33 PM

Originally, my problem was that I couldn’t run my DC, Saw and ShopVac all at once, so I wasn’t even able to really generate enough airflow. Once I got my electrical straightened out, and my DC permanently ducted and set, I was ready to tackle this problem for real.

First, I just shoved a shop vac skinny crevice tool into the space between the stock blade guard. This was just ok. It wasn’t a sealed space, and it didn’t mount well at all. When I then added permanent PVC for an overarm and then used some DC rated 2” hose at the end, it became clear that I was severely choking my airflow with the crevice tool. The lighter weight hose was collapsing under the suction. I researched and studied and designed and shopped prototyped for hours on the best options for a blade guard, even creating a sketchup file with a crazy complicated transition piece to get full 2 in hose diameter translated into something long and skinny.

The goal was to attach to the riving knife so it wouldn’t need it’s own suspension. Also, I wanted it to remove easily. The final goal was to make it so it could handle as thin a rip at possible without interfering with the fence, so while there are some awesome designs out there, most are big and boxy. Or the popular thin one uses the crevice tool that wasn’t giving me enough airflow or attach to my riving knife.

After all this trial and error, it struck me to just disassemble the stock blade guard and use it’s own screw holes to mount plexiglass around it. I found a vac attachment that had better surface area and airflow, then cut it off at an angle to nestle in the guard. One through bolt holds it in place with shocking stability! So much work testing and it was all so simple in the end. It works great! I will probably remake it at some point with a better shape and cleaner construction, but man am I happy so far!


7 replies so far

View unbob's profile

unbob

800 posts in 1738 days


#1 posted 08-02-2017 03:58 PM

Looks good to me, I have been using an overhead collector for a year, I like it a lot.

View GrizzlyBagWorks's profile

GrizzlyBagWorks

80 posts in 1425 days


#2 posted 08-02-2017 04:08 PM

Very clean, very minimalist design. I really dig it. Would you be willing to trace those components on a piece of 8×11 and scan/upload it or snap a photo? That way the work you put in sizing everything wouldn’t be wasted and others could benefit.

I don’t know if it’s necessary but what are your thoughts on adding skirt pieces mount to the sides/front of the guard that remain in contact with the table at all times and then just ride up and down in slots as you raise/lower the blade. That would totally enclose the blade for the most part.

I was considering making a “shopnotes” style guard or possibly adapting a sawstop guard but this looks better than both those in my opinion. Great work!

View Gilley23's profile (online now)

Gilley23

377 posts in 216 days


#3 posted 08-02-2017 04:16 PM

That looks great, nice work. I like the plexiglass

View Gilley23's profile (online now)

Gilley23

377 posts in 216 days


#4 posted 08-02-2017 04:18 PM

Have you tried using a sled with it?

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

267 posts in 2013 days


#5 posted 08-02-2017 04:43 PM

GrizzlyBagWorks I could definitely manage to make a template, but I’m not sure I like the basic shape as of yet. I feel like I could make it a little “cleaner” design. I will try it for a while and see and then maybe modify it before making a final template. As for the skirt pieces, I have never been convinced these are all that helpful for dust collection. I made mine so it extends down to a point that is even with the gullet of the blade, so I know that by sliding the piece to cut under the guard, I can lower the blade and guard to just above the thickness of the piece and have the right blade height and very little room for dust to escape.

Gilley23 The drawback to the riving knife mounted systems are that they must be removed for non-through cuts and any miter bar or sled actions. I haven’t found a way around that yet. At least by using the stock blade guard as a starting point I have the near instant flip and remove possibility. I am planning to build a new sled that would at least clear the full height riving knife because honestly, I hate pulling the throat plate and dropping the splitter height for my sled FAR more than simply removing the dust and blade guard.

View Rick_M's profile

Rick_M

10607 posts in 2214 days


#6 posted 08-02-2017 06:52 PM

I think you are within a hip and skip of divorcing from the riving knife and having a spring loaded overhead solution but I like what you’ve done so far.

-- http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

267 posts in 2013 days


#7 posted 08-02-2017 08:49 PM

RickM I definitely think that I will go to a suspended system someday. I have the hardware and sturdy arm in place for it already, but I need to wait until I decide just what kind of sled I want to build to replace my current one. I hope to be able to use it even when making cuts with the crosscut sled. I have seen some creative ways to do this, but I’m not sure what kind of sled I will end up making or exactly how it will all work.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com