|Forum topic by Shamus||posted 01-02-2011 05:12 PM||1298 views||0 times favorited||7 replies|
01-02-2011 05:12 PM
Why is it that 90% of the dust collector systems end up looking like some version of a Rube Goldberg octopus? Not saying your system doesn’t work. It’s whether it’s working at an efficient level and mine did look like the above mentioned octopus.
With a bit of a break in the weather last week I decided to pull apart some of my DC ductwork and see what, if any, build-up of dust / debris I had sitting inside the pipes. Well I was in for a surprise. I could have used a chimney sweeps brush for a few hours. I cleaned out a 5 gal bucket of sawdust in just over 60’ of pipe.
What got me on this in the first place was I was talking with an Engineer over the holidays. I had asked him to help me design the most efficient DC system, with the cleanest looking install for my applications. It is now clear that I am undersized by half. My 5HP collector needs to be 10HP. My duct work is oversized by 30%. I should have bought 4” runs not 6”. I should keep my horizontal ductwork no more than 1’ above the cyclone and never try and lift the dust more than 1’into a horizontal run.
That’s the ideal application and he suggests putting the DC in the center of the shop regardless of what I use. His list goes on and on.
I pulled everything out and am starting over. Relocating most of my power tools and will attempt to do things better this time. I need to put as many power tools against a wall as I can. That way all the horizontal runs will be mounted on the wall and I can get close to the 1’ rise he suggested. That’s my first goal to improve efficiency. I’m not about the put the DC in the center of the shop but I am going to locate it midpoint between the two longest runs, instead of at the end. (with a 5’ pipe height) I know some of you have done exactalluy that and have a very efficient system.
The second part is the bigger issue. Nobody makes all the components you need that will actually fit together and will optimize all the different size component discharge dimensions. I’ve got 2 1/8, 2 3/8, 2 ½, 2 9/16, and a few metric ones thrown in and that’s not even half of them. Looks like I’ll have to use some foil tape again.
Lastly, why in the world would a company market a DC with inlet ports located the way they have them. Your basically forced to start with flex hose from the get-go.
Ok, I’ll admit it. The holidays have gotten to me and I need to just sit back and open a bottle of scotch. For me it’s too late to change though. I like to see things that look neat and organized. Small shop Dust Collectors are designed to look unorganized.
Thanks for listening. I feel better now.