Seeking Advice On "New" Tool

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by ChuckV posted 12-26-2010 04:30 PM 1497 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View ChuckV's profile


3184 posts in 3768 days

12-26-2010 04:30 PM

Topic tags/keywords: antique travisher

We have some wonderful neighbors. Last night they stopped by to visit. They had a gift for each member of our family. The great part of this was that the gifts were all things that they “found around the house” and fit perfectly with our particular interests. (If you saw their house, you would understand how this is possible!)

I received a tool that was used by our neighbor’s grandfather in his furniture making. I guess that this would be called an inshave or a scorp which would be used to hollow out a bowl or seat bottom.

One of the differences between this and the inshaves I see now is that this has a curved piece ahead of the blade like the toe of a plane. It seems that it might be possible to adjust the mouth opening by tapping the blade in or out.

Is anyone familiar with this tool? I am interested in learning to sharpen the blade. The bevel in on the inside of the curve. Before I try anything, I am wondering if the blade is designed to be tapped out of the handle for sharpening. If the blade were removed, would a slip stone be a good way to work on the bevel?

Merry Christmas and thank you for reading.

-- “Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are.” ― R. Waters

5 replies so far

View hjt's profile


903 posts in 3379 days

#1 posted 12-26-2010 07:58 PM

Very neat!! Gotta love neightbors. thank God my neighbors are great too – always willing to help. So how do you sharpen the blade? As I look at the photos I’m thinking that you tap the blade out??

-- Harold

View Dennisgrosen's profile


10880 posts in 3356 days

#2 posted 12-26-2010 08:05 PM

its a travisher and is used by chair makers
i don´t know much about the sharpening of the tool
but I think I remember the bevel is on the inside of the curve
from the books I have read
but you shuold be able to see that

congrat´s with your new toy enjoy the restore anduse of it :-)


View Loren's profile


10477 posts in 3889 days

#3 posted 12-26-2010 08:18 PM

I think it may be a tool used in coopering to hollow the inside parts
of barrel staves. Of course it can also be used for cutting chair

View ChuckV's profile


3184 posts in 3768 days

#4 posted 12-26-2010 08:39 PM

Thank you Dennis

I have never heard that name. Now that I know what to look for, I see a few travishers available for sale such as this one at Highland WW.

-- “Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are.” ― R. Waters

View Dennisgrosen's profile


10880 posts in 3356 days

#5 posted 12-26-2010 09:28 PM

Chairmakers allso use another tool with a simular function but have a different look and is pushed only
to scoope with picture in Garret Hack´s the handplanebook site 215

yep thats one of the forms on highland WW :-)

the reason to why the handles is bend up is to prevent the knockles on your hand to be bruseched
against the plank when you hollow out

but mainly its just a shave that is bend
chairmakers have them in all sices

take care

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics