Cups for use with lacquer, which type?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by wwbob posted 12-13-2010 12:29 AM 1474 views 0 times favorited 6 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View wwbob's profile


111 posts in 3109 days

12-13-2010 12:29 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question finishing lacquer

I’m running out of 16 oz. (1/2 liter) paper cups I use with lacquer, mixing, holding the strainer, etc. The local stores don’t seem to carry paper cups any larger than 5 oz. Dixie cups. I tried one type of plastic cup and the cup color begin melting seeping into the lacquer, as I thought it might.

Any suggestions?

-- "I like the quiet I hear." - Channing, age 4

6 replies so far

View closetguy's profile


744 posts in 4126 days

#1 posted 12-13-2010 01:13 AM

I use clear plastic cocktail cups that I buy from the local grocery store. They are only six ounces, but if you can find the same clear ones in what I call “roadie” cup size, you won’t have the color melt problem.

-- I don't make mistakes, only design

View cstrang's profile


1832 posts in 3402 days

#2 posted 12-13-2010 03:37 AM

I use regular coffee cups I get at my local Tim Hortons (little plug there lol) They work fine for me, I also work at a cabinet shop and thats what the guys in the spray booth use as well. You should be able to buy a sleeve from your local coffee shop or just wash out some after your coffee is all gone.

-- A hammer dangling from a wall will bang and sound like work when the wind blows the right way.

View crank49's profile


4032 posts in 3204 days

#3 posted 12-13-2010 03:47 AM

Cut the top off a cardboard quart milk carton, or any plastic bottle that is made of polyethelyne, the milky looking plastic. Poly is immune to all solvents as far as I know. That’s why nobody has ever come up with a glue for polyethelyne.

View FirehouseWoodworking's profile


725 posts in 3507 days

#4 posted 12-13-2010 04:34 AM

Might try a local restaurant supply house. They may carry an appropriate size paper cup.

If you must go to a plastic cup, try the local convenience store. I won’t make any guarantees about the plastic, so you’ll have to experiment. The convenience store I most frequent (Quick Trip) has a number of different sizes and they have ounce graduation markings on the side of the cups. They seem to hold up well enough for what I use. They also have convenient snap-on lids that keeps stuff out of my mixtures.

Good luck! Cheers!

-- Dave; Lansing, Kansas

View wwbob's profile


111 posts in 3109 days

#5 posted 12-15-2010 01:05 AM

At a local store I asked for plastic cups made with polyethelyne. No one even knew what polyethelyne was. So I bought cups marked with the recycle number “1”, and were marked with “PETE”. Lacquer thinner did not melt these cups. Yea, success.

Now I wonder why the manufacturer named the cups, Pete. I think Bob is a better name.


-- "I like the quiet I hear." - Channing, age 4

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

3810 posts in 4255 days

#6 posted 12-15-2010 02:09 AM


-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics