I need advice on my countertops

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by jim C posted 12-09-2010 05:45 PM 1520 views 0 times favorited 10 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View jim C's profile

jim C

1472 posts in 3126 days

12-09-2010 05:45 PM

Hi folks,

We had these corian countertops and cabinets installed over 20 years ago. Back then, gold hardware and accents were the standard items.
I want to update the handles, pulls etc. to the currently popular brushed stainless to match the appliances. I have googled myself silly and for the life of me, I can’t find a source for replacing the gold stripping.
The stripping above, along the countertop side is about 1/16th of an inch thick and 5/8” wide. I was told it is glued on and can be removed with a heat gun.
I would re-install the new stripping the same way unless I can find a replacement with self adhesive backing. Does anyone have an idea where I could purchase rolls of this, or with the ingenuity of this group, have other ideas ?
I hit a wall.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Jim Ceriale

10 replies so far

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

1426 posts in 3902 days

#1 posted 12-09-2010 06:01 PM

FastCap offers a metalic PVC edgebanding. I don’t know if that will work for you?

-- -- --

View dbray45's profile


3320 posts in 2805 days

#2 posted 12-09-2010 06:04 PM

An idea—
has stainless banding of different widths. if you want brushed, take what you want off the spool and lightly sand. As for adhesive, don’t know.

-- David in Damascus, MD

View Lee Barker's profile

Lee Barker

2170 posts in 2878 days

#3 posted 12-09-2010 07:59 PM

You could try Outwater Plastics.

-- " his brain, which is as dry as the remainder biscuit after a voyage, he hath strange places cramm'd with observation, the which he vents in mangled forms." --Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

View SnowyRiver's profile


51457 posts in 3508 days

#4 posted 12-09-2010 09:17 PM

There are quite a few people that carry edge banding on the internet. Here is one of the sites.

-- Wayne - Plymouth MN

View PaulJerome's profile


57 posts in 3061 days

#5 posted 12-09-2010 11:46 PM

How about a decorative inlay? We are lumberjocks!

-- Paul, Central Illinois

View richgreer's profile


4541 posts in 3102 days

#6 posted 12-10-2010 03:41 PM

Everytime I read the title, “I need advice on my countertops” I have a vision of someone giving you advice while he/she and you are sitting on your countertops.

Sorry – I had to share that insight.

-- Rich, Cedar Rapids, IA - I'm a woodworker. I don't create beauty, I reveal it.

View jim C's profile

jim C

1472 posts in 3126 days

#7 posted 12-10-2010 04:26 PM

Yea Rich
They sat me down and told me “You’re ugly too”

View jim C's profile

jim C

1472 posts in 3126 days

#8 posted 12-15-2010 05:59 PM

Hey Bentiyj,

Thanks a million for the offer. I did find a source online who is sending me a sample.

And thanks to everyone else for their suggestions.

View Gofor's profile


470 posts in 3815 days

#9 posted 12-16-2010 04:14 AM

Another option would be to edge band with oak veneer to match the cabinets.


-- Go

View Sawkerf's profile


1730 posts in 3096 days

#10 posted 12-16-2010 05:06 AM

Try checking with a countertop maker/installer. They may have the stuff you need – or be able to tell you where to get it.

-- Adversity doesn't build reveals it.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics