Chipbreaker Screw Type / Source

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by topspin posted 12-05-2010 07:10 PM 1547 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View topspin's profile


62 posts in 3568 days

12-05-2010 07:10 PM

Topic tags/keywords: chip breaker screw hand planes plane iron shop made jointer plane

I’m in the process of making my own plane irons and I’m having trouble finding a source for the chip breaker screws. Ideally, the screw would be a flat head (fillister?) and fully threades but I’m not sure what the type is called?

I’ve seen screws on Highland Woodworking or St. James Bay pages, but they’re $2 a piece or more before shipping.

Any thought or sources?

Thank you, David

-- Seems that talent only gets you so far... effort makes you successful.

2 replies so far

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

5622 posts in 3862 days

#1 posted 01-01-2011 04:48 PM

Is there an industrial supply store near you, they often have a wider selection of bolts than do the chain stores or the small mom and pop places. McMaster Carr may have something.

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

View Lochlainn1066's profile


138 posts in 2926 days

#2 posted 01-01-2011 11:36 PM

I take it this is to mate to Stanley style chipbreakers? They used a nonstandard screw.

Making your own chipbreaker, you could use whatever you want. Chipbreakers are generally mild steel so after making a blade a breaker would be easy.

I think the kind you want is a “pan head machine” screw or bolt.

-- Nate,

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics