LumberJocks

Unifence modified with incremental positioning

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by RipFence posted 06-01-2017 03:11 PM 279 views 1 time favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View RipFence's profile

RipFence

67 posts in 2529 days


06-01-2017 03:11 PM

Hello All:
I’m sure some of you have seen Jeremy Schmidt's tablesaw fence with incremental positioning. I had thought about making one but I really like my old Delta Unifence. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to integrate incremental positioning with my Unifence but was just coming up empty. Then I saw Bob Neumann’s set up on Instructables and that got me going.
My fence ended up being a composite of their two approaches.
I used 3/4-16 because I thought it would be strong enough on its own with support along the whole length like 3/8-16 would need. I supported it at each end with simple blocks made from scraps. I also included Jeremy’s feature to rotate the threaded rod as a micro adjust. The nuts grip the support block fairly tightly so it won’t rotate on its own. Its simple to rotate the nut by 1/12 of a rotation (from a flat to a point) which gives a travel of ~0.005 inches. Nuts are held by loctite to prevent coming loose without needing two nuts on each side of the support block.
I followed Bob’s approach of using a piece of spring steel which I screwed to the Unifence head. I cut a coupler nut in half (really more like a third) along its length and attached it to the spring steel with epoxy since I don’t have a welder (I’ll add screws to reinforce the epoxy). I did not implement a toggle clamp like Bob did because I can micro adjust and don’t need to use freehand positioning. So my half nut and spring are set so that they always engage when I position the fence. If I find that I want the ability to slide it without engaging the teeth I can always modify it later. Total cost for the threaded rod, two jam nuts, and one coupler nut was less than $15; quite a bit less than an Incra fence. I imagine it would be easy to modify a Biesemeyer as well.
So far so good. Of course it took a lot longer than it should have and I drilled several more holes in my fence rail than necessary. Just to see how repeatable it really is, I dialed in the fence for 4” then removed and replaced it. See the pic.
Cheers,
Jim


2 replies so far

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

13751 posts in 3933 days


#1 posted 06-01-2017 03:26 PM

cool.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View magaoitin's profile

magaoitin

246 posts in 785 days


#2 posted 06-01-2017 03:43 PM

That is brilliant! Now I wish my unifence wasn’t broken, I would love to make that modification.

-- Jeff ~ Tacoma Wa.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com