What are these small "horses" called?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by JasonD posted 11-23-2010 08:48 PM 5439 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View JasonD's profile


180 posts in 3063 days

11-23-2010 08:48 PM

On the cover of Christopher Schwarz’s first book on workbenches, he has a pair of small supports under the bench on the front cover picture. In the DVD where he shows how to build the cherry topped Roubo bench, I noticed that he uses on of these small “horses” to support the legs as he cut the tenons while holding them in his vise.

I don’t remember seeing anything in any of his books about them. Is there a particular name for them? I’m looking to build a pair, but they look simple enough that I was going to guess and wing it as far as the dimensions were concerned.

8 replies so far

View JasonD's profile


180 posts in 3063 days

#1 posted 11-23-2010 08:52 PM

Sorry. I meant to attach an image to my first post. Here is a pic of the cover of the book with the supports in question circled in yellow.

View Viking's profile


880 posts in 3396 days

#2 posted 11-23-2010 08:54 PM

Saw ponies? LOL

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View hObOmOnk's profile


1381 posts in 4329 days

#3 posted 11-23-2010 09:01 PM

Those are Japanese small saw horses.

-- 温故知新

View Jamie Speirs's profile

Jamie Speirs

4168 posts in 3057 days

#4 posted 11-23-2010 09:02 PM

Neigh! Sorry for the pun.

The Bench hurdles. :)

I use them for raising items above the bench for clamping.
Mine are also the same height as my Chop saw bed.
Very handy.

-- Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though 'twere his own. --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

View SCOTSMAN's profile


5849 posts in 3786 days

#5 posted 11-23-2010 09:03 PM

A bed for a very skinny person or reasonably well padded like myself LOL Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View Dennisgrosen's profile


10880 posts in 3316 days

#6 posted 11-23-2010 09:13 PM

they are Japanese saw horses
go and look at Swartzes blog and in there you will find the answer why he has them :-)

and I know they are great to stack a few boards quickly , ceeping them away from a concrete floor


View JasonD's profile


180 posts in 3063 days

#7 posted 11-23-2010 10:03 PM

“saw ponies” lol

Thanks for the replies, everyone. For anyone who wants more info, here’s the link to Chris Schwarz’s blog about them:

View gko's profile


83 posts in 3445 days

#8 posted 11-25-2010 08:36 AM

Japanese saw horses. Made a pair of them and use them a lot. I glued two 3/4” poplar (to keep weight down) to make 1 1/2” thick slabs and notched the legs and cross piece to lock them together. Hole going through bottom of legs into the cross piece to tighten them up with a dowel. Old Japanese use to take them to sites to work on projects like we would take saw horses. Have used them like traditional saw horses. Used the legs to hold a fence to use as a shooting board. Just laid one of the pieces down to use when chiseling so I wouldn’t hit the floor. Used clamps to hold stuff against them to cut, chisel, etc. Found them handy around the shop.

My Japanese saw horse. I have two that is used together a lot.

Taken apart for transport. I can easily carry the pair. Other saw horse has hole in bottom to lock them tighter.

This is how I use to plane the edge of a board. Plane runs on the added 2×4 and the board is clamped on the saw horse.

Very handy when I’m doing wood working at someone’s house.

-- Wood Menehune, Honolulu

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics