After looking at my bandsaw for two years, I finally decided to make it fit my new stature in the wheelchair. I’m sorry that I did not know about LJ at the time so no pictures were taken.
This first picture shows how much I lowered the working table. The original height was 42 inches, and since I am now just over 48 inches in the wheelchair, the only thing I could cut was probably my nose.
I had started to build a cabinet for the table saw, so the old table saw stand was up for grabs. I removed the cast iron section from the original base and reused the motor and motor mount for the new set up.
I cut the legs to give me about 28 inches of height at the table. The tape measure gives you an idea of the amount that is possible to lower any band saw.
This felt comfortable to me so here is the cut off legs under the bandsaw. I also changed out the switch for a new paddle switch from MLCS.
The paint job was well weathered from years of setting in the open(not me). I tore it down and checked everything. I was amazed that other than a little surface rust the bearings and guides were in very good shape. I re-greased and re-assembled the unit and gave it a try. With a 1/4” blade, it worked perfectly.
I repainted it and bought another Shop Fox mobile base and set it up as it is today.
Then while making a redwood screen door, I tried using scrap cedar milled to the dimensions of the redwood. The motor bogged down and came to a complete stop three times while cutting 5 inches into the cedar. Since I had a 110/220v 2 hp motor that turned 1750 rpm’s, I swapped out the motors. What a difference.This is just one of several things I have done to accommodate my shop to my needs.
The next thing is to figure out a dust control system for this saw.
I hope this is a help to any one confined in a wheelchair. The whole point for woodworking is to enjoy it to the max. And uncomfortable tools prevent that.