Tambour groove

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by Matt posted 10-31-2010 04:27 AM 1176 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Matt 's profile


212 posts in 3748 days

10-31-2010 04:27 AM

Hey guys, quick question here. I plan on building an roll top desk, I’ve been drawing up plans and working on prototypes. All is well but I cannot figure out how to route a groove to accept the tambour. It has to be dead accurate and it has to be done twice. (one on each side) I do have a router but I can’t figure out a jig to route it out.
Thanks for any tips!

-- Hold on! Let me get the board stretcher!

4 replies so far

View patron's profile


13603 posts in 3339 days

#1 posted 10-31-2010 04:32 AM

cut the shape in ply or particle board
use a template guide
and a straight or spiral bit to follow
flip jig over for other side rout

-- david - only thru kindness can this world be whole . If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure. Dan Quayle

View a1Jim's profile


117091 posts in 3576 days

#2 posted 10-31-2010 04:40 AM

Like David said or you can buy a special router bit set that makes interlocking taumbour

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View Matt 's profile


212 posts in 3748 days

#3 posted 10-31-2010 05:12 AM

I’m not so much worried about the actual tambour itself but the groove that it rides in on the sides. David hit it right on the button though.

-- Hold on! Let me get the board stretcher!

View hunter71's profile


3178 posts in 3185 days

#4 posted 10-18-2013 07:44 PM

Amazing the help one can find on L/J’s Thanks, Doug

-- A childs smile is payment enough.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics