JET JSG-6 dust collection

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by bigblockyeti posted 04-06-2017 05:52 PM 578 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View bigblockyeti's profile


5285 posts in 1920 days

04-06-2017 05:52 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question sander

I’ve looked high and low to find whatever will bolt to the bottom of the 12” disc sander on my JET JSG-6 for proper dust collection and can’t find it anywhere. Apparently the one that is currently made is an enclosed cabinet so I’m seeing no parts referenced for this one. I currently hold the dust collector hose as close to the pictured opening as I can with a bungee cord and it does ok at best. I’m certain I can cobble something together with some 4” round duct but unless it’s super expensive, I’d like to get the right adapter and get the most secure connection I can to connect a 4” hose properly. Any ideas?

-- "Lack of effort will result in failure with amazing predictability" - Me

2 replies so far

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

5174 posts in 2693 days

#1 posted 04-06-2017 06:21 PM

When I had a Grizzly disk sander I had the same problem. What I did was take a short piece of 4” snap lock, probably 8” or so long, and cut an oval in the side that matched the opening you pictured….as best I could. Then I capped on end of the piece, and “clamped” it in position under the opening. In my case, “clamped” meant jamming it between that opening and the table the unit saw on. I did try to caulk any gaps, though it was very tough to do. Anyway, I hooked my DC hose to the other end. It worked better than I expected, maybe because the disk was throwing the dust in the direction…but it was the best i could come up with.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

View bigblockyeti's profile


5285 posts in 1920 days

#2 posted 05-25-2017 03:07 AM

I ended up cutting the sheet metal base to allow full clearance to the bottom of the oblong hole and flattened 4” snap lock pipe pressed tight against the casting then made a support block to hold it and the 90° elbow in place without moving. Copious amounts of silicone were applied to the mating surfaces even though I’m not sure it was needed as the pipe butted to the casting quite well. The improvement in dust collection is tremendous, almost nothing escapes now even if the workpiece sneaks over onto the wrong side of the disc and it’s trying to throw the dust up, the dust is still sucked right back down. I did get in touch with somebody from JET and they really didn’t have much to offer in the way of ideas, only let me know they stopped making the blue machines a while ago which I already knew. At any rate, it is done!!

-- "Lack of effort will result in failure with amazing predictability" - Me

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics