Drawer guide selection

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by James Hanna posted 10-26-2010 08:53 PM 1418 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View James Hanna's profile

James Hanna

5 posts in 2809 days

10-26-2010 08:53 PM

Topic tags/keywords: desk drawers cherry drawer guides drawers desk

Click to open larger view:

I’m building the above desk and need suggestions on drawer guides. I’ve asked this before but now I’m not sure I want to use wood guides. It’s for my home office where I work every day and I want the drawers to open smoothly. I’m concerned that using wood guides, such as a groove in the drawer sides and a 3/4” poplar piece on the inside of the cabinet, would show through the 1/8” gap between the drawer front and the post of my desk.

I chatted with a Rockler person for a while and he suggested some rather expensive under-mount guides. Anyone have any suggestions for side mounted guides I can mount to this project? The distance between the drawer side and cabinet inside is about 3/4” on left and 3/4” on right.

Here is the bottom view:

Click to open larger view:

-- James, Manhattan, Montana

4 replies so far

View ,'s profile


2387 posts in 3542 days

#1 posted 10-26-2010 09:33 PM

I was going to suggest the undermount, I like them the best for overall use. If I were building for me I would certainly use the undermounts, and when I build for hire I always try to sell the undermounts. We pay around 18.00 per pair for the Blum undermounts. We can also get a knock off brand that seems to be good quality for around 15.00 per pair. So I am not sure what you view as expensive.

The next best option would be a KV TT100. We get them for around 4.00 to 5.00 per pair. These glides are also very nice and heavy duty. Probably would last for a very long time. They are ball bearing and they are side mount. They are also fairly easy to install.

As far as buying glides, try to stay away from retail such as Home Depot, Rockler, etc… Try to find a hardwoods lumber yard in your nearby area, or go to the cabinet shops and find out what source they use to buy their glides from. You might try There should be some other whole sale outlets online you might find.

-- .

View crank49's profile


4030 posts in 2966 days

#2 posted 10-26-2010 09:59 PM

I know they are low tech., but I like the action of Blum 230 series. They mount on the bottom, outside edges of the drawer. The rails mount to the face and optional sockets on the cabinet (desk) back if you don’t have a solid side to mount to. These are quite, smooth rolling, self closing (last couple of inches), and support 100lbs per pair. They are not full extension however. The 22” glides extend a little over 17” for example. Anyway, I just got some of these at Woodcrafter and they were $7.50 a pair. Woodcrafter is also having a sale on the Accuglide side rail full extensions. They were about $16 for the size I needed, but I didn’t need full extension and didn’t see the need to pay double .

View James Hanna's profile

James Hanna

5 posts in 2809 days

#3 posted 10-27-2010 05:17 AM

Thanks. I’ll look into those options. I appreciate the ideas. I was concerned about undermount being too flimsy but I’d rather have the look of no guides.

Thanks again.

-- James, Manhattan, Montana

View ajosephg's profile


1880 posts in 3557 days

#4 posted 10-27-2010 03:55 PM

I like For example a pair of 16 inch full extension slides are about $8.00.

In my opinion, I’d pay the extra $ for full extensions. Definitely makes makes it easier to see what’s in the back of the drawers, etc. Considering the number of years you’ll be using the desk, the extra cost is pretty nil.

-- Joe

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics