Drill Press Chuck

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Honu posted 03-30-2017 04:45 PM 577 views 0 times favorited 6 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Honu's profile


20 posts in 1367 days

03-30-2017 04:45 PM

Hi guys,

I have a Craftsman Drill Press (don’t laugh, I’ve had it since 1979 and it works well). Recently I had new bearings pressed into it while rejuvenating it. I want to take the chuck apart and clean/polish it. I’ve even though about getting a chuck that will handle 5/8 shafts. Problem is that this chuck doesn’t attach via a Jacobs taper or Morse taper. Craftsman (Emerson Tool for this 113.213780 model) uses something I don’t have a name for. The chuck unscrews from the spindle. What is this type of “attachment thingy” called?
Any chuck I’ve looked at needs to have a taper or “what I’ve got” screwed into it in order to be mounted to the drill press. The Craftsman manual or part listings are no help as the chuck is not called out in the IPB.

Can anyone help? Maybe? Please?

6 replies so far

View Honu's profile


20 posts in 1367 days

#1 posted 04-01-2017 02:24 PM

Thought I would add that the currently installed chuck is a Jacobs 633C.

View Tommy Evans's profile

Tommy Evans

148 posts in 2346 days

#2 posted 04-01-2017 03:11 PM

From 2011….
Removing a Jacobs 633C chuck?

peace, T

View onoitsmatt's profile


395 posts in 1348 days

#3 posted 04-01-2017 11:38 PM

Jacobs makes a replacement chuck just for craftsman drill presses that have the threaded collar. They aren’t cheap but it’s a Jacobs chuck so you’ll never need to buy another. I wound up using a pipe wrench to get mine off. I recommend something less dramatic if you can get away with it.

Also the garage journal forum has a huge thread dedicated to craftsman drill presses that’s packed with great information on how to clean up and restore them.

-- Matt - Phoenix, AZ

View Honu's profile


20 posts in 1367 days

#4 posted 04-02-2017 11:32 AM

Tommy, Matt,

Thanks for the response. I have seen that thread and, in fact, getting it off has not been my problem. I’ve had mine off before for cleaning, etc. But I’ve never disassembled it. I’d actually like to replace it with a chuck with a larger capacity. I work mainly with wood and sometimes need a bit larger than 1/2”. Then I need to find a necked down bit and that’s a pain. I have a 5/8” chuck I’d like to install but have no method.

This chuck came installed on a lot of Craftsman presses from the 70s (and others I’m told). Is it manufactured with the threaded collar? Or does the collar come off and can be used with a different chuck. So for the Jacobs chuck site hasn’t been much help to me as I’ve only been looking for a 633C chuck, and they don’t appear to have any kind of Technical Support phone etc. I haven’t yet emailed them. Been searching the web first.

And thanks for the tip on GarageJounal. I found them in this search but haven’t seen that thread yet. There are many threads and I’ve obviously not been using the right keywords.

I’ll keep at it and let you know how I make out.

Leesburg, FL

View onoitsmatt's profile


395 posts in 1348 days

#5 posted 04-02-2017 03:39 PM

The replacement chuck from Jacobs is the 34-33C. It was made specially to replace the threaded collar craftsman chucks (33C). It is a 1/2” chuck.

Here’s a link to the garage journal thread:

-- Matt - Phoenix, AZ

View jimintx's profile


843 posts in 1756 days

#6 posted 04-02-2017 03:56 PM

I too have a Craftsman DP from that general era – mine was new in about 83 or so. This thread is interesting and useful for me, too. Thanks to the OP and to those who are adding info in reply.

-- Jim, Houston, TX

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics