Stanley 36 plane

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by KelRob7 posted 03-05-2017 02:23 PM 412 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View KelRob7's profile


1 post in 383 days

03-05-2017 02:23 PM


I have what I think is a Stanley 36. I has a 2 3/8 plane iron. Does that sound correct? The cap lever has small bumps all over the top. Looks manufactured that way. Anyone know where one could get a iron for it?

Thanks, Kelly

4 replies so far

View waho6o9's profile


8135 posts in 2512 days

#1 posted 03-05-2017 02:29 PM

Welcome to Lumber Jocks!

View Don W's profile (online now)

Don W

18672 posts in 2503 days

#2 posted 03-05-2017 10:21 PM

A #36 is a transitional right? According to the 2 3/8” is correct

as said, if you’re going to use it, hock tools is hard to beat.

-- - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

View JayT's profile (online now)


5555 posts in 2146 days

#3 posted 03-05-2017 11:14 PM

You do need to be aware that the depth adjuster hole on a transitional cap iron is not in the same place as those on the iron planes. If you get a iron/cap iron set that was designed for an iron plane, you’ll have to modify the cap iron to work.

-- In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. Thomas Jefferson

View waho6o9's profile


8135 posts in 2512 days

#4 posted 03-05-2017 11:28 PM

JayT for the win, thanks for the continuity.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics