Sorby turning tools with blue labels?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodturning forum

Forum topic by Abter posted 03-01-2017 12:29 AM 675 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Abter's profile


70 posts in 825 days

03-01-2017 12:29 AM

Topic tags/keywords: lathe

There is a Sorby spindle gouge for sale on eBay that I wonder about.

Every wooden handle Robert Sorby turning tool I have seen, or that I can find pictures online, have the red signature as the only logo on the handle. All they show in the Sorby catalog have the signature. Even the Sorby tools sold by Walmart have the red signature.

BUT the one on eBay has a blue label. The eBay ad says it is a “ROBERT-SORBY-SHEFFIELD-161-2-034-x-3-8-034-ROUND-HIGH-SPEED-840H-WOOD-TURNING-CHISEL”. I looked online, and all I find is 840H tools with the usual red signature.

Here is the best picture of the label that I got from the eBay posting (not my photo, all rights that may or may not exist belong to eBay, the eBay seller, or anyone other than me, blah, blah, blah)

The pic I put up may be too small to read here. The label does say Sorby (not Robert), and Made In Sheffield, England. There is a kangaroo on it as well, which was a logo of the Robert Sorby company for a few centuries (it seems they don’t use it now, or at least not much.

My question: it this a legit product? Does Robert Sorby make a line of products with this blue label? If so, what does this blue Sorby label designate?

-- "Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after." {often mis-quoted as by H.D. Thoreau}

4 replies so far

View Bill7255's profile


427 posts in 2483 days

#1 posted 03-01-2017 01:33 AM

It is a Sorby, older version. I don’t know the history as there were a few “Sorby’s” and the trademarks changed over the years. Look up Sorby Kangeroo brand for more history information.

-- Bill R

View LeeMills's profile


618 posts in 1499 days

#2 posted 03-01-2017 01:20 PM

I would say they are legit. Mine are the same but the paper label is black but same style.
Set of 8 bought back in the 80’s. All still used buy the skew is reaching its end of life.
One next to the long walnut handle one on the left, three on the right. Pics not to clear, I had to enlarge for you to be able to see them at all.

-- We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. Albert Einstein

View Abter's profile


70 posts in 825 days

#3 posted 03-01-2017 04:43 PM

Lumberjocks is such a great source of info. I am absolutely sure that someone in our vast family will know the answer (and/or have an opinion) about ANYTHING related to woodworking.


-- "Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after." {often mis-quoted as by H.D. Thoreau}

View bigJohninvegas's profile


515 posts in 1660 days

#4 posted 03-02-2017 04:12 AM

I’m sure that is an older sorby tool. I’m not sure how old, or when they changed there labels. I bought this bowl gouge at an estate sale about a year ago. Most of the label is worn off, but looks pretty close to what you are looking at.
I got 6 tool for about $20 each.

-- John

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics