Help in identifying a tool

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by DW833 posted 02-16-2017 03:02 AM 564 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View DW833's profile


212 posts in 1789 days

02-16-2017 03:02 AM

Bought this tool at a fleamarket today even though I don’t know what it is.

I’m not sure if this tool is a woodworking tool or metal work tool.
The small blade has H.S.S. Crobalt stamped on it.

5 replies so far

View Ripper70's profile


800 posts in 815 days

#1 posted 02-16-2017 04:22 AM

Hmmm. My guess is that it’s some kind of a handle/holder for an auger type drill bit.

-- "You know, I'm such a great driver, it's incomprehensible that they took my license away." --Vince Ricardo

View papadan's profile


3584 posts in 3275 days

#2 posted 02-16-2017 04:29 AM

Auger bit or Tap handle

View Rick_M's profile


11121 posts in 2287 days

#3 posted 02-16-2017 04:31 AM

Tap handle would be my guess


View Iamjacob's profile


48 posts in 2533 days

#4 posted 02-16-2017 11:48 PM

Probably not a tap handle, the tool location is offset from the centerline of the handles. This would put the axis of rotation out of line with the tap which would break taps.

How does the tool mount in the handle?

My guess would be a handle/guide for sharpening tool bits for metalworking. The H.S.S Cobalt tool bit is a high speed steel (hss) tool bit for metalworking.

View DW833's profile


212 posts in 1789 days

#5 posted 02-18-2017 04:47 PM

The tool bit slides into an opening that is similar in size to the bit. Then the thumb screw secures it.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics