Dunlap Scroll Saw Use

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by CRDunham posted 02-03-2017 02:35 PM 511 views 0 times favorited 1 reply Add to Favorites Watch
View CRDunham's profile


6 posts in 654 days

02-03-2017 02:35 PM

I have a Dunlop scroll saw that I bought for my 10 y/o to start woodworking. It’s a large cast iron frame with a cylindrical head unit that’s held in by a set screw. This contains the top spring mechanism. I was wondering if there’s an easy or correct way to tension the blades on this? I’ve been pulling down on the top shaft by hand and then tightening the screw on the blade, but it’s hit or miss on getting the tension right and there’s no way the kid can do it so every time she breaks a blade she needs my help. I tried to Google info on this saw and came up empty. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.


1 reply so far

View Jim Finn's profile

Jim Finn

2684 posts in 3098 days

#1 posted 02-12-2017 02:40 PM

If your saw has a spring at the top to return the blade after a stroke it is properly called a “jig saw”. A very old design. (This is before we had hand held “jig saws”) I used one in the middle 50’s in wood shop. I think they use much thicker blades than my scroll saws do. Try to find thicker blades.

-- No PHD just a DD214 Website>

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics