Carpentry Terms

  • Advertise with us

« back to Coffee Lounge forum

Forum topic by tncraftsman posted 09-11-2010 04:39 AM 1192 views 0 times favorited 1 reply Add to Favorites Watch
View tncraftsman's profile


92 posts in 3161 days

09-11-2010 04:39 AM

I heard two new carpentry terms and I’m not sure what they mean. They are “hook ahead” and “butt to back”. They were used when discussing how to read a house framing plan.

Anyone have a good explanation for them?

1 reply so far

View JJohnston's profile


1622 posts in 3313 days

#1 posted 09-11-2010 05:07 AM

This is just a guess, but it sounds like it refers to the adjustment you have to make to the measurements when you lay out your studs depending on whether you have the tape measure hooked around the stud at the end of the wall (hook ahead) or butted up against the inside of it (butt to back). In hook ahead, you’d have to add 3/4” to each 16” increment mark to compensate for the end of the tape being 3/4” beyond the centerline of the first stud. In butt to back, you’d have to subtract 3/4” since the tape is 3/4” short of the centerline.

-- "A man may conduct himself well in both adversity and good fortune, but if you want to test his character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics