LumberJocks

60 bf of 5/4 red oak - no idea what to make

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by HickWillis posted 01-27-2017 01:38 PM 456 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View HickWillis's profile

HickWillis

114 posts in 493 days


01-27-2017 01:38 PM

I was recently able to obtain 60 bf of 5/4 red oak. 90% of it is ripped into 3” wide strips, all of them are about 6-8 ft long. The other 10% is about 6-7” wide and also 6-8 ft long.

And…I have no idea what to make with it. I have a couple friends who are getting married later this year and wanted to make them a wedding present. I thought this wood would make some good stock for it, but I have no idea where to start.

Any ideas?

-- -Will


8 replies so far

View Ron Aylor's profile

Ron Aylor

1755 posts in 481 days


#1 posted 01-27-2017 01:49 PM

The is absolutely nothing you can make with just 60 bft of red oak. Simply package it up and send it my way! LOL!

-- Ron in Lilburn, Georgia.  Knowing how to use a tool is more important than the tool in and of itself.

View UncannyValleyWoods's profile

UncannyValleyWoods

542 posts in 1698 days


#2 posted 01-27-2017 01:53 PM

Don’t use it for cutting boards, that’s for sure. Red oak just isn’t good for that.

-- “If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses.” ― Lenny Bruce

View Aj2's profile

Aj2

1172 posts in 1632 days


#3 posted 01-27-2017 02:18 PM

Step stool.

Aj

-- Aj

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

8026 posts in 2411 days


#4 posted 01-27-2017 02:26 PM

Or a His and Hers valet box:

View IHRedRules's profile

IHRedRules

112 posts in 1310 days


#5 posted 01-27-2017 03:01 PM

Lots and lots of cabinet face frames.

View ScottM's profile

ScottM

565 posts in 1980 days


#6 posted 01-27-2017 05:26 PM

I recently make my nephew a wedding present out of some scraps I had. Sorry, no pictures but I made them a napkin holder and the salt and pepper shakers from Jay Bates’ page. I’m sure you could spice them up by mixing in some other woods. Simple projects but nice results and appreciated since they are hand made.

View xwingace's profile

xwingace

228 posts in 2422 days


#7 posted 01-27-2017 08:59 PM

You can make a bunch of nice bows out of that! Probably not the greatest wedding present though, lol.

-- I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

View HickWillis's profile

HickWillis

114 posts in 493 days


#8 posted 01-27-2017 09:07 PM

Good suggestions so far. I did some more searching for some inspiration and I was thinking maybe something like a small hutch for them to use as a bar/liquor cabinet.

-- -Will

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com