Best brand, type, and place to buy clamps

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by therookie posted 09-04-2010 10:33 PM 11844 views 0 times favorited 6 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View therookie's profile


887 posts in 3030 days

09-04-2010 10:33 PM

I have yet again another question. right now i am running on 8 clamps, 4 6inch and 4 24inch clamps. Now i was wondering the best brand of clamp for example bessey jorgeson and pony, type of clamp for example pipe and bar and where to buy them like home depot harbor freight or online..


6 replies so far

View lew's profile


12434 posts in 3958 days

#1 posted 09-05-2010 12:05 AM

For pipe clamps, I’d buy the “ends” at harbor freight and the pipes from the local plumbing supply house. You can get the pipes from a Big Box Store but they are usually more expensive there. And, if you buy the pipes from a plumbing supply, you can get both ends threaded- so you can use nipples to make them longer. My longest pipes are 4’ but I can add them together for longer jobs by threading on the nipple connectors.

I wish I had more parallel jaw clamps. Woodcraft has some that are very similar to Bessy only a little less expensive.

Check out garage/yard/flea market sales and you may find C-clamps at a bargain


-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

6304 posts in 3397 days

#2 posted 09-05-2010 01:15 AM

Greetings rookie Just about all I use are Besseys…I have some bar clamps that go from 4’up to 8’, but I rarely, if ever, use those….If I have a big long case to glue up, then yes, I use them then…My Besseys range from 12” up to 50”.... I”v got several old Jorgesons that I rarely ever use…..I depend on the heavy-duty bar clamps for good clampnig pressure….They cost a little more than most, but you’re buying quality, also. And good quality clamps is necessary for woodworking….Another clamp you might consider is the Quick Grip when you can hold a part and clamp it quick… There are a lot of good bar clamps out there now, all quality clamps. I don’t know much about them, since I only use Besseys…..I know they are good clamps….I use them all the time making furniture and stuff…..... Here’s a shot of mine if you’re looking for ideas….A variety of clamps will assist you in your needs for clamping….

-- " At my age, happy hour is a crap and a nap".....!!

View Wolffarmer's profile


407 posts in 3441 days

#3 posted 09-05-2010 04:36 AM

For hand screw type of clamps I like the one’s Dubuque Clamp make. I have found on the web sight The Best Things. They put other company’s name on them. Mine has Shopsmith. I have three different brands on hand screws and Dubuque’s are by far the best. Including one sold by the famous maker that starts with a J. I do not know how there other clamps are. For hand screws get these ot get the real cheapos from HF or where ever. These are not a lot more expensive than the “Js” but are a whole lot better. IMHO


-- That was not wormy wood when I started working on it.

View NotEnough's profile


13 posts in 3226 days

#4 posted 09-05-2010 04:56 AM

Here’s a decent price on a set of Bessey cabinet clamps….(2) 24” (2) 40” (4) blocks….$130 (no tax, free shipping).

Rockler has their house brand 12” F clamp on sale for $7.50

Woodcrafter has Jet 40” F clamps on sale for $10

View snowdog's profile


1166 posts in 4185 days

#5 posted 09-05-2010 02:01 PM

I am always looking for sales on clamps and there are almost never any “real” sales. Just give it up and spend the money :)

I should have told myself that 4 years ago, I am still looking. Good luck!

-- "so much to learn and so little time"..

View richgreer's profile


4541 posts in 3277 days

#6 posted 09-05-2010 03:35 PM

The best type of clamp depends on what you are doing. In certain applications, the convenience of the one-hand clamps is the right type (but that don’t have a lot of squeezing power). In other applications, a wooden screw clamp or a C-clamp is the right type. When gluing up panels, I often like the type of clamp that applies pressure to all 4 sides.

I have a wide variety of clamp types and a wide variety of sizes of each of those clamp types and I use each one depending on the application.

As an FYI – I have made some of my own wooden screw clamps with hardware I buy on Amazon. This allows me to customize the shape of the jaws for a particular unique situation. Nothing beats a clamp that fits just right.

Regarding brands – Most are good. Avoid the real cheap stuff.

-- Rich, Cedar Rapids, IA - I'm a woodworker. I don't create beauty, I reveal it.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics