Whoever told me turning wood is addictive....they are right. + Poll?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Keen1 posted 01-22-2008 10:27 PM 1058 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Keen1's profile


103 posts in 4081 days

01-22-2008 10:27 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question

Started on some ash blanks to get some practice. The first one may be fanciest toothpick I’ve ever seen. I’ve started on a couple of pens, will post those when I get a chance. Kind of like showing pictures of first born baby. You’re so proud, but most babies look about the same and all resemble Winston Churchill I think. Come to think of it I think I will make a Churchill my first pen. Okay getting my ADD mind back on topic. I saw something called a “sizing sleeve” for a European pen kit. I’ve only seen it on that one site. Their kits were less expensive than most so I figured it much be the inserts glued in at the start. But none of the other sets mentioned this “sizing sleeve”. Could it be something that is unique to their kit? Most kits look about the same to me. Here is the link, . It says for center band. But why don’t other sites have that listed. Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong place. After I see how the pens actually turn out…I’ll probably give some away plus I have a friend who owns a few small stores who said he’d like to sell some. Before I go that far, I’m curious about…..

What style pens are the most popular for gifts? (and if different) What style pens sell the best?
I know everybody has unique tastes in pens but I’m sure some are more popular than others.

-- Dad to 5, Son of The One

4 replies so far

View LONGHAIR's profile


94 posts in 4049 days

#1 posted 01-23-2008 03:14 AM

I don’t really know why they list it like that…but the bushing set that I have for European pens has a 2-piece center section. This is to give you 2 different diameters. The smaller diameter is for the “tennon”. This is the part where the center band is glued. You turn the tennon down to size and then slide the “ring” part of the bushing onto the tennon. This gives you the diameter of the upper barrel.

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

4035 posts in 4299 days

#2 posted 01-23-2008 07:18 AM

I like the cigar style pens especially for Gents (and Executive Directors of Inspection of the female persuasion), and a bandless style of pen called the KC twist sold by Craft Supplies, which has more heft than the standard twist pen. That pen style is good for male and female writers.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View Mario's profile


902 posts in 4286 days

#3 posted 01-23-2008 03:37 PM

Turning pens is very addictive. My kids love it and I have a hard time keeping them stocked up. I have been out for a while and they keep bugging me to get more kits.

-- Hope Never fails

View rikkor's profile


11295 posts in 4109 days

#4 posted 01-23-2008 03:42 PM

I make a lot of slim-lines for give-aways, because they are the most inexpensive. If it is going to be a special gift I will use the cigar or the sierra—both considerably heftier.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics