Need to Find an Odd Sized Machine Screw for Drawer Pulls

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by gerrym526 posted 08-31-2010 07:00 PM 6560 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View gerrym526's profile


274 posts in 3837 days

08-31-2010 07:00 PM


I’m finishing a flat panel TV/component cabinet, and ordered 5” wide nickle plated drawer pulls. The pulls came with break away screws, which I’m not sure how to use to get to the correct length of screw needed-1 1/2 inch-ie. how do you break away the material on the screw not needed?

Ideally, I’d like to purchase the right lsize/length screw (8×1 1/2”) but here’s the issue. All the screws I’m finding are 32 threads per inch, e.g. 8/32 1 1/2”. The screws I need for the pulls are 36 threads per inch.

Anyone know of a source for these odd screws?

Thanks for the help.

-- Gerry

8 replies so far

View Michael Murphy's profile

Michael Murphy

453 posts in 3034 days

#1 posted 08-31-2010 07:15 PM

Try the metric machine screws at your local True Value or Ace hardware store.

-- Michael Murphy, Woodland, CA.

View helluvawreck's profile


31417 posts in 2895 days

#2 posted 08-31-2010 07:24 PM

You probably have a Fastenal supply near you or even an independent screw supplier. You can also order all sorts of screws from McMaster Carr (they are handy for supplying all sorts of things, BTW). I have never had occasion to use a screw with 36 tpi but I assume it’s standard since you have a knob with those threads. You can cut a screw off with a fine blade on a hacksaw. Before you cut it be sure that you place a nut on the screw above where you need to cut it. Put the nut on, then saw the screw in two where you need to, and then carefully grind or file a small bevel around the bottom of the screw where it was cut. You will probably have enough room to clamp the part that you plan to cut off in a vise since you plan on discarding that end you won’t have to worry about the vice damaging the threads. Then you back the nut off and it will, 90% of the time, restore the threads where you cut it.

-- helluvawreck aka Charles,

View helluvawreck's profile


31417 posts in 2895 days

#3 posted 08-31-2010 07:30 PM

8-36 is a standard screw. It’s a fine thread screw. And you can get taps and dies for it. So a good screw surpplier can fix you right up. I don’t think that I have ever seen a knob that had 8-36 threads.

-- helluvawreck aka Charles,

View Rob200's profile


313 posts in 3198 days

#4 posted 08-31-2010 08:12 PM

do you have wire stripes for automotive 12v wirer they have screw cuter’s on they that you can cut the screw’s to fit

-- Robert Laddusaw and no I am not smarter then a fifth grader ( and no I canot spell so if it is a problem don't read it ))

View William's profile


9949 posts in 2871 days

#5 posted 09-02-2010 05:30 AM

I have actually had to find some of those exact screws before. I found them at Home Depot. The only good thing I have ever had to say about that place. On the nail and fastener aisle (here anyway) they have a wealth of odd, hard to find screws. The drawback is you have to go on a treasure hunt to find the one’s you need. They have some pull out drawers with labels on the front showing what is in each drawer. Disregard the labels because what they say is never exactly what is in each drawer. It is almost like someone intentionally put everything in the wrong place. Each compartment in each drawr is seperated pretty good though. So, with a little searching, you can find what you need.
This is the situation here now, it may not be in your area.


View BTKS's profile


1986 posts in 3493 days

#6 posted 09-02-2010 04:50 PM

I’ve had the best luck finding what I need, when I need it and quick is Ace or TrueValue. They go under the name Westlakes here. Their help is usually knowledgeable and the screw area is organized and properly labeled. Hope this helps.

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View gerrym526's profile


274 posts in 3837 days

#7 posted 09-02-2010 07:31 PM

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Here’s some feedback-Ace Hardware and Fastenal only carry 32 tpi screws, so no luck there. I will try William’s suggestion about Home Depot. McMaster Carr might also be an option, but think I’d have to buy in quantity much greater than what i need.

-- Gerry

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

852 posts in 3762 days

#8 posted 09-02-2010 10:47 PM

Check Fastenal – they have a variety of #8-36 screws in Stainless and Brass and it appears you can buy by individual screw.

There are 10 Fastenal stores in the Chicago area so they shouldn’t be too difficult to find.

Don’t know the size of the drawer front you are attaching the pulls to, but how about this one?


-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics