3/4" hvlp plug/coupler connector?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by bringitonhome posted 08-28-2010 03:52 AM 2381 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View bringitonhome's profile


28 posts in 3103 days

08-28-2010 03:52 AM

Hi folks – having a bit of a problem here.
Last year a bought a small hvlp system. It’s worked ok, but the gun leaves a bit to be desired. So, I purchased a new one and brought it home only to find that the connector wont fit. The gun has 3/8” NPT male threads (for which I had purchased a 3/8” quick connect plug). Turns out that my sprayer hose has a 3/4” quick connect coupler. It seems that 1/4” and 3/8” are the standard sizes. I’ve looked at both big boxes and HF, and they only carry those sizes. No 3/4” fittings to be found anywhere.

The old gun is cheap plastic and the plug is actually part of the body – so nothing to be reused there. Has anyone ever seen 3/4” fittings before? Or can anyone offer any clever ideas of how I can make this connection? :)


3 replies so far

View barryvabeach's profile


159 posts in 3071 days

#1 posted 08-28-2010 04:07 AM

Not sure I can be of much help. In general, the conversion guns use standard air quick connects – 1/4 normally the air pressure is set to 20 to 40 psi. . Turbine guns on the other hand usually have a much wider intake ( 3/4 is what Capspray uses

But the turbine generates air at 10 psi or less ( High Volume Low Pressure ) that is in part why the hose is much wider. The point I am trying to make is that if you get a conversion gun ( it converts high pressure air to low pressure air ) you can’t run that from a turbine, and if you have a turbine gun you can’t run that from a compressor. So I may have misunderstood, but it sounds like you have a turbine with a hose with a 3/4 fitting that you are trying to attach to a conversion gun ( though that would normally be 1/4 fitting ) if that is what is going on, a coupler won’t work.

View PurpLev's profile


8536 posts in 3676 days

#2 posted 08-28-2010 04:28 AM

from what it sounds like you got a gun that is to be used with a regular high-capacity air compressor and you’re trying to make it fit a turbine unit which uses different connections and hoses all together. I have not found anything that would make those 2 work as of yet.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View bringitonhome's profile


28 posts in 3103 days

#3 posted 08-28-2010 09:24 PM

yes that’s exactly it!
i have a turbine system. I thought conversion gun – regulator = turbine gun. Guess not. It seems like the overwhelming majority of spray guns for sale are conversion guns. The few turbine guns i’ve found cost over $300. Some over $500. Since the whole rig cost me ~$120, that’s a bit more than i was looking to spend.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics