Please recommend a set of drill bits

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by live4ever posted 08-18-2010 05:35 PM 2085 views 0 times favorited 9 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View live4ever's profile


983 posts in 3248 days

08-18-2010 05:35 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question recommendation drill bits

My drill bits suck. Really. They’re quite atrocious. I don’t know where they came from, but they make terrible holes and walk all over the place on start. I need a decent set of drill bits.

Any recommendations? I was hoping not to spend a fortune on a Colt or similar set. Just looking for a reliable set of brad point drill bits for general purpose wood boring. Woodcraft sells a (Woodriver) brad point set that seems fairly inexpensive…any experiences?

Thanks much!

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

9 replies so far

View dbhost's profile


5767 posts in 3470 days

#1 posted 08-18-2010 05:59 PM

Lowes and Home Depot both sell a set of DeWalt Pilot Point drill bits, I believe they are DW1969 for a model #. A friend of mine has them, they are dead on the money size wise, and the pilot point puts them exactly where they are supposed to be… They aren’t the cheapest, but they are far from the most expensive too!

I have a non pilot point set of B&D Ti coated bits that has served me really well over the years. but is getting long in the tooth after 20+ years…

-- Please like and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

View jusfine's profile


2422 posts in 3164 days

#2 posted 08-18-2010 06:27 PM

I use quite a few of the bits made / imported by Lee Valley, they work well!

-- Randy "You are judged as much by the questions you ask as the answers you give..."

View versa's profile


29 posts in 3371 days

#3 posted 08-28-2010 12:43 PM

I would buy the cheap 10$ set of drill bits at home depot. All drill bits walk all over the place when starting holes, unless you use a drill press or make a divot with a punch or something similar.
Use the cheap standard high speed steel bits and use a punch to indent the center section if you have problems wandering.

Not sure what you mean when you say it is a terrible hole. Unless you need a flat bottomed partial hole , then a Forstner is needed.

View helluvawreck's profile


32086 posts in 3104 days

#4 posted 08-28-2010 02:09 PM

I bought my set at Lowes and they were not very expensive I don’t recall any problems with them and it does help to mark the hole with a punch in a lot of cases just like you would if you are drilling a hole in steel with a regular twist drill.

-- helluvawreck aka Charles,

View richgreer's profile


4541 posts in 3312 days

#5 posted 08-28-2010 03:07 PM

I assume you are talking about drilling into wood. I have and use 4 different sets of bits and I have purchased a number of individual bits that are not part of a set.

For a hole bigger than 1/2” I use Forstner bits from a set of Porter Cable Forstner bits I have. They are very good bits, but you should sharpen them when ever they need it. Sharpening Forstner bits is not hard to do. As an FYI, I would like to get some carbide Forstner bits but they are quite expensive.

For smaller holes in wood I like the brad point bits I got in a set from Rockler.

I also picked up a 115 bit set from Grizzly. It only cost about $60. It has bits in Imperial measurements, metric measurements and it has a complete set of the lettered bits. Why? With this many bits I can almost always find a bit that is just the right size. These are conventional high speed bits. I don’t use them much, but it is handy to have these bits for unique size situations.

Finally, a cheap small set of drill bits from 1/32” up to 3/8” is handy to have and if you break or loose one, it’s no big deal.

-- Rich, Cedar Rapids, IA - I'm a woodworker. I don't create beauty, I reveal it.

View TheDane's profile


5575 posts in 3901 days

#6 posted 08-28-2010 04:30 PM

I have a set of brad point bits from Rockler … 25 piece HSS. I have been very happy with them.

They replaced a set of Steelex brad point bits … they were junk. Several of the bits in the set weren’t straight and wobbled in the drill press. When I use a 5/16” bit, I don’t expect a hole that is a little more than 3/8” in diameter.

-- Gerry -- "I don't plan to ever really grow up ... I'm just going to learn how to act in public!"

View rkevins's profile


79 posts in 3168 days

#7 posted 08-29-2010 01:51 AM

I have a set from MLCS #9178 I think they are not expensive and the points on some are not centered but for the money they are good brad point bits, I also get most router bits from MLCS

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile


18423 posts in 3914 days

#8 posted 08-29-2010 02:00 AM

The drill point needs to be sharp to bite into the material. On steel I always use a center punch for critical holes. Wood, it depends on the hardness and the grain. I haven’t had trouble with most brands of bits execpt for one cheapie set I got off ebay. Won’t drill anything, I use them for set up:-))

-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View SCOTSMAN's profile


5849 posts in 3823 days

#9 posted 08-29-2010 06:32 PM

Tip of the day! get yourself a cheap centre drill designed for engineering it will last you forever in woodworking . Drill the start with that, then drill with your el cheapo drills and your drill will no longer wander. Or Buy a middle range set of engineers drills or brad point wood drills no wander with either of those .best wishes Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics