This is a woodworking build contest where all of the details are known, except the actual project item, before the contest starts. We reveal the project item in a podcast the day the contest starts. For example, if we were building a desk, the rules are all made available well in advance, but we don’t tell anyone to start designing and building a DESK until Sept 1st.
Here are some details:
Theme: Earth Friendly
Registration: Now through September 15th, 2010
Begin Building: September 1st, 2010
End Building: October 31st, 2010
End Judging: November 15th, 2010
Judges: Neil Lamens, Adam King, Rick Waters
Prizes: More than 25 prizes to be won, with a Grand Prize from Rockler worth $200
Sponsors: Rockler, General Finishes, Kreg Tools, Delta-Porter Cable, Furnitology, SensGard, Woodworking With Tommy Mac, Popular Woodworking, 2Sand.com, Michael Dugan and possibly more – since we still have some irons in the fire.
Rules can be found here (http://thesawdustchronicles.com/build-challenges/2010-build-challenge/rules-2010-build-challenge/), but here they are outlined:
- project must fit inside these dimensions: 32”x32”x30”
- project materials cannot cost more than $300 total
- cannot spend more than $300 on hand tools and $600 on new power tools to complete the project
- primary materials must be solid wood or plywood
- secondary materials may be anything except MDF, OSB, or synthetic wood materials
- no materials that use toxic chemicals
- prefer that environmentally friendly finishing materials are used – absolutely no paint
- prefer that environmentally friendly adhesives are used, but all are permissible
The sign up form is here (http://thesawdustchronicles.com/build-challenges/2010-build-challenge/build-challenge-form/)
And, as always, there will be a video slideshow podcast with judges’ commentary after the contest is complete.
-- Splintered Board Podcast - Woodworker Un-extraordinaire