Anyone know what this is?... I need help in figuring this one out.

  • Advertise with us

« back to Coffee Lounge forum

Forum topic by Brian Anderson - UBWoodman posted 07-21-2010 11:46 PM 1934 views 1 time favorited 21 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Brian Anderson - UBWoodman's profile

Brian Anderson - UBWoodman

56 posts in 2920 days

07-21-2010 11:46 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question

21 replies so far

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

14171 posts in 3950 days

#1 posted 07-22-2010 12:37 AM

no clue Bud

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View a1Jim's profile


117063 posts in 3544 days

#2 posted 07-22-2010 12:38 AM

Looks like a case for an old radio

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View Kindlingmaker's profile


2656 posts in 3494 days

#3 posted 07-22-2010 01:05 AM

I hope I am so wrong… Is this a caninet for using and storing a “thunder bucket”?

-- Never board, always knotty, lots of growth rings

View paulcoyne's profile


133 posts in 3088 days

#4 posted 07-22-2010 01:22 AM

I love that thunder bucket… that was my first taught but dont think so now… no clue now at all

-- thats not a mistake... i ment that

View Tom8021's profile


73 posts in 3205 days

#5 posted 07-22-2010 01:30 AM

Hard to tell from photo, Does the front swing down and the insides are pulled forward? Does it pull enough out to be a commode?

View Brian Anderson - UBWoodman's profile

Brian Anderson - UBWoodman

56 posts in 2920 days

#6 posted 07-22-2010 01:45 AM

The front door pulls down to reveal that odd shaped opening, the top is basically a rectangle with two pointed ends so you have a leg on each corner and then a leg on each end point with bracing near the bottom of the legs, this prevents something being placed on the floor beneath it. when you look in the odd shaped hole in the front you can see a hole in the bottom of the drawer. when you pull the drawer the hole is in the bottom of the case and drawer bottom is made so it does not cover the hole. A old water bowl and pitcher were there and if you put the bowl in there with the drawer pushed in you cant reach in the odd shaped hole to but anything in or take out of the bowl. It does have some stenciled numbers on it so it was manufactured I thing, not a one off for someone, thats all I know…thanks for any and all info and ideas…


View Brian Anderson - UBWoodman's profile

Brian Anderson - UBWoodman

56 posts in 2920 days

#7 posted 07-22-2010 01:46 AM

its about 25-30 inches high


View lew's profile


12019 posts in 3723 days

#8 posted 07-22-2010 03:10 AM

View fredf's profile


495 posts in 3677 days

#9 posted 07-22-2010 06:19 AM

record player??? the cutout in the draw kinda looks like where a changer would go

-- Fred, Springfield, Ma

View vicrider's profile


179 posts in 2866 days

#10 posted 07-22-2010 07:49 AM

Wow, That is an odd thingie…...

How tall is it? I doesn’t look like you could sit in it and the drawer and frame aren’t particularly designed for efficient use either. I have seen a sit-in commode but never one with odd shaped holes or no way to place anything under it. In the other style, which are simply storage cabinets for a separate ‘mug’ which was covered and placed in the cabinet, access is straight-forward and practical; usually a door.

And did I say it looks too tall? Thus I don’t think it’s a commode.

The unique front hole (that’s an assumption; could be the back) and the alignment of holes internally hint at its use as the cabinet for some form of machine or mechanism. It appears to be too deep for someone to stand behind so it doesn’t qualify as a workstation…..

Lessee, someone would approach the piece, drop the hinged door, and be confronted by that tri-lobular whatsit. What the heck happened next???

I’ll be checking back….somebody should have a clue..


-- vicrider

View Brian Anderson - UBWoodman's profile

Brian Anderson - UBWoodman

56 posts in 2920 days

#11 posted 07-22-2010 02:03 PM

Its def not a commode, the pictures are cut off a bit, I re-sized but I cant seem to get the whole picture in the forum, if you right click and choose “View Image” you can see the whole picture.


View HorizontalMike's profile


7749 posts in 2881 days

#12 posted 07-22-2010 04:16 PM

An old Singer sewing machine table? My mother used to have an old Singer card table style that the sewing machine would flip up through the tabletop opening. Hmm… Just guessing.

-- HorizontalMike -- "Woodpeckers understand..."

View tbone's profile


276 posts in 3652 days

#13 posted 07-22-2010 04:32 PM

Are there any identifying marks such as manufacturers’ name, date, model #? Anything?

-- Kinky Friedman: "The first thing I'll do if I'm elected is demand a recount."

View GMman's profile


3902 posts in 3665 days

#14 posted 07-22-2010 04:44 PM

lew is right I saw one in and old upscale antique house, the poor had only a pot under the bad.

View Brian Anderson - UBWoodman's profile

Brian Anderson - UBWoodman

56 posts in 2920 days

#15 posted 07-22-2010 06:00 PM

its not a commode, the top is fixed and the only thing that moves is the door pulls down and you can slide the “drawer” out. There are supports running between the legs about 6 inches up from the bottom of the legs so you cant put anything on the floor beneath it. There are some stenciled numbers but I could not find any manufacturers mark on it, I may need to look at it much closer.

here is a picture of the numbers, the piece is in Mississippi and I am in Texas so next time I am there I will have to take better pics, and I closer look, I did turn it upside down and this was the only marking I could find.


showing 1 through 15 of 21 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics