LumberJocks

How to kill mold?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by Gary Glaze posted 07-20-2010 03:02 PM 1375 views 0 times favorited 12 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Gary Glaze's profile

Gary Glaze

10 posts in 1554 days


07-20-2010 03:02 PM

I recently sawed some green blackwalnut on my portable mill. I stickered it with 3/8ths inch stickers and placed in my shop. Last night I decided to move the pile and found mold growing on the lumber…...I mean mold like what you would see on a loaf of bread that has been in the cupboard to long. I know all of my errors, but what I really need to know, is how do I kell the mold. I am not sure if the mold is a health factor, but I sure don’t want it to stain or effect the color of the wood. Thanks for your help.


12 replies so far

View Daren Nelson's profile

Daren Nelson

767 posts in 2592 days


#1 posted 07-20-2010 03:11 PM

Thicker stickers (3/4 min.) get a fan on it asap…when the surface moisture is gone/lower the mold will die. I don’t expect it to stain the wood any deeper than you are going to surface plane off anyway.

-- http://nelsonwoodworks.biz/

View jusfine's profile

jusfine

2280 posts in 1612 days


#2 posted 07-20-2010 03:25 PM

We have access to a product called KILZ.
Made for the elimination – prevention of mold growing.

It is in a white spray can, you could give the existing mold a coating, it will not really penetrate much, but seal the mold from spreading and would be easily planed off when you go to work with your lumber.

As suggested, a fan will keep the air moving through the stickered areas, and it should not spread.

-- Randy "You are judged as much by the questions you ask as the answers you give..."

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

3467 posts in 1881 days


#3 posted 07-20-2010 04:53 PM

Greetings Gary,

Just use bleach and water and a scrub brush…... Mix about a 1/3 to a 1/2 cup of bleach in a gallon of water,
stir up good, and scrub the moldy spots….... should take care of the problem…..
Like the others said, get a fan….....

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

View childress's profile

childress

841 posts in 2228 days


#4 posted 07-20-2010 05:31 PM

I’m with Rick, Bleach diluted with water. Although I would just put it in a spray bottle and spray it on. It should kill it, if not on the first spray, spray again, wait about a day before checking each dose and if not completely gone after the second dose, then a little scrub brush. You just need to be careful with a brush because you don’t want to make the mold airborne, that’s what makes people sick. My $.02

-- Childress Woodworks

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

3467 posts in 1881 days


#5 posted 07-20-2010 05:50 PM

Greetings childress,

Very good sugesstion on the spray water bottle… I said a gallon because he didn’t say how much wood
he had mold on…. thanks for covering me on that one…!!!
Also… I’ve done this on plywood that I got from the lumber yard where I buy… you have to check the wood

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

View pvwoodcrafts's profile

pvwoodcrafts

223 posts in 2608 days


#6 posted 07-20-2010 05:59 PM

Probably bleach water solution will take care of it. I would recommend getting some 3/4 or 1” stickers and either stick it outside where it’ll get lots of air or put a fan on it inside with a dehumidifier. Its not getting enough air.

-- mike & judy western md. www. pvwoodcrafts.com pvwccf1@verizon.net

View Daren Nelson's profile

Daren Nelson

767 posts in 2592 days


#7 posted 07-20-2010 06:36 PM

I would not use bleach…even diluted on walnut…

-- http://nelsonwoodworks.biz/

View vicrider's profile

vicrider

178 posts in 1585 days


#8 posted 07-20-2010 06:44 PM

Diluted household bleach will kill the mold and shouldn’t have any significant effect on the walnut. You will be surfacing (planing, sanding) the wood when you work it anyway.

-- vicrider

View swirt's profile

swirt

1946 posts in 1658 days


#9 posted 07-20-2010 07:51 PM

Vinegar is a pretty good mold killer and is a little less caustic to the user than bleach. I have never used it on Walnut, so I can’t say how it might react.

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com

View Daren Nelson's profile

Daren Nelson

767 posts in 2592 days


#10 posted 07-20-2010 07:53 PM

Vinegar will most likely react badly with the tannic acid in walnut (turn black like it does oak)

-- http://nelsonwoodworks.biz/

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

112298 posts in 2263 days


#11 posted 07-20-2010 09:16 PM

I would be concerned using bleach on wood I would suggest naphtha after some warm soapy water and letting it dry before using the naphtha.

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

View Gary Glaze's profile

Gary Glaze

10 posts in 1554 days


#12 posted 07-21-2010 06:08 AM

Thank all of you for the nice welcome and the great ideas. When I got home this afternoon, I pulled each piece outside, put on my mask, and started scrubing with a long handeled brush. The mold came off easily, but as you noted, I have restacked with a fan behind the lumber and this weekend I will do it one more time and I will cut some new three quarter inch stickers. I also had some quarter sawn honey locust that I had stickered with some old redwood stickers and some pine stickers. The redwood was putting a yellow stain on the wood while the pine was fine. Both species of stickers are completely dry. I don’t know if anyone else has seen this before. Once again, thank you for the help and the friedly welcome. (I will get my daughter to help build my site)

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase