• Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by bruc101 posted 11-07-2016 07:39 PM 574 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View bruc101's profile


1248 posts in 3689 days

11-07-2016 07:39 PM

I need 2 of these hinges that will hold up a wood countertop 1 1/2” thick x 40” long x 24” wide. It’s going to be heavy and will need to stay open to get to a Yeti ice cooler.

I can find light weight ones but no heavy duty. Does anyone know where I could find them?

Thanks in advance

-- Bruce Free Plans

4 replies so far

View Aj2's profile


1726 posts in 1945 days

#1 posted 11-07-2016 08:52 PM

Look up lid stays or lid support hinges there’s about a million different choices.
I’ve bought something similar from Rockler.

Good luck


-- Aj

View runswithscissors's profile


2843 posts in 2172 days

#2 posted 11-08-2016 06:31 AM

Rocker. maybe?

-- I admit to being an adrenaline junky; fortunately, I'm very easily frightened

View jerryminer's profile


944 posts in 1589 days

#3 posted 11-08-2016 08:21 AM

You asked about hinges, but what you want are lid stays—- as noted by Aj2

I’ve used several types. Sugatsune makes a series that look very much like your pic and come in different capacities.

Gas springs are another option.

-- Jerry, making sawdust professionally since 1976

View bruc101's profile


1248 posts in 3689 days

#4 posted 11-09-2016 01:39 PM

Thanks for your replies and info guys. I ended up being sent to a company by most of the hinge companies, actually down in Atlanta.

Here is what they told me I needed and the necessary measurements they needed to handle the weight of the top.

-- Bruce Free Plans

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics