LumberJocks

100 year old butler pantry built in cabinet glass door problems.

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by chafemasterj posted 10-11-2016 06:40 PM 483 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View chafemasterj's profile

chafemasterj

3 posts in 697 days


10-11-2016 06:40 PM

Topic tags/keywords: cabinet racked support sag troubleshooting face stile leg stile support not square antique built in question

Love this site. I’ve read many posts and have learned a lot from many of you but have never posted one myself. Bear with me as I try to explain what I have going on. I think I’m going to drop way too much information but here goes.

A customer of mine has recently moved into an historic home that was done by one of Frank Lloyd Wright’s protégés. In the butler pantry are eight glass cabinet doors with the door faces flush with cabinet faces. Each door has two 3” mortised brass hinges. Door hardware is Eagle brand half mortised 1/4 turn latches. Below in the base cabinets are eight to ten drawers. Prior to my working on this project they replaced the countertop with a natural stone product. (Pretty sure this is the third top that has been on these cabinets) I found out that there had been a ‘leg’ that was an extension of the mid-stile that had added support to the face of the upper cabinets with the glass doors. Doors are each ~32” by ~15”, the glass is 5/16 inch thick and heavy as all get out. The front of the cabinets had dropped about 1/4” in the center since the leg was removed 8 weeks ago. About 4 weeks ago a painter came in…caulked and painted the outside of everything. This is the second time they’ve been painted. Painter did not remove the doors to paint. Awesome. (Sarcasm) Caulk filled any gaps that were created by the loss of the support.

In walks me a week ago. Discovered this train wreck and I’ve been asked to try and get the doors to open, close and latch. Here is what I’ve done so far and also where I need some helpful advice. Where the leg was I flipped some clamp jaws around and every few hours I’ve been turning the clamp another half turn or so. This has gotten me to be able to open two of the doors that were racked shut. Right now I think I have the face frame where it was prior. The other doors were left open by the painter. All but two of them I’ve been able to get to work well and have descent looking consistent reveals between the doors and frame. These two are Really puzzling me. They are both racked the opposite direction than what you’d anticipate. The latch side is racked out of square almost 1/4” ~higher~ than the hinge side. The really weird thing is that the glue joints on these doors are tight. The homeowner swears all the doors worked when they moved in. The painter swears they all worked when he prepped and painted. These are the two doors all the way to the left. Hinge side is on a stile attached to an exterior wall. I’m beside myself. Any advise on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I painted a good enough picture that someone is able to stand back, think and say “Do this stupid!”

Lol. Thanks!


2 replies so far

View bondogaposis's profile

bondogaposis

4020 posts in 1811 days


#1 posted 10-11-2016 06:53 PM

Hopefully I painted a good enough picture that someone is able to stand back, think and say “Do this stupid!”

An actual picture would be a lot better.

-- Bondo Gaposis

View chafemasterj's profile

chafemasterj

3 posts in 697 days


#2 posted 10-13-2016 02:27 PM

I took some pictures yesterday at the job site. I’ll see if I’m able to post them here from my iPhone. I must confess my technological ignorance.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com