The "remove to lock" switch doodad

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Wiley posted 06-24-2010 02:31 AM 2479 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Wiley's profile


71 posts in 3054 days

06-24-2010 02:31 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question

I just picked up my dream tool: a Powermax 16-32 drum sander. I’m probably one of the only woodworkers in the US who dreamed of getting a drum sander and has no real plans to ever get a table saw. Anyway, as I was getting it into my car, the switch got caught on the lip of the door and got slightly broken. It was switch side down in the car and heavy as hell to try to move, so I couldn’t really get a good look at the damage. Once I got home, I took the switch apart and got it back in working order, but the little yellow circular tab thingamabob that says “remove to lock” on it seems to be AWOL. It’s the same model switch as my bandsaw, and borrowing the yellow thingy from that switch worked fine. But I would like to get a replacement eventually. What are those things called and where might I be able to find one?

-- "When you lose the power to laugh, you lose the power to think straight" - Inherit the Wind

5 replies so far

View MarkwithaK's profile


370 posts in 3201 days

#1 posted 06-24-2010 03:00 AM

I had to replace one on my old Crafstman TS so I know that Sears sells them.

-- If at first you don't succeed then maybe skydiving isn't for you.

View CharlieM1958's profile


16275 posts in 4241 days

#2 posted 06-24-2010 03:00 AM

I just call it the lockout key…. don’t know if that’s the right name or not.

Most manufacturers have parts diagrams either in the manual or on their website. It shouldn’t be that hard to locate one.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View sikrap's profile


1121 posts in 3382 days

#3 posted 06-27-2010 04:36 AM

I could be wrong, but I think they’re pretty much universal as far as what fits what. I have Ridgid and Grizzly tools and interchange the “lockout key” all the time. Grab one at Sears/HD/Lowes and try it. You can always return it if it doesn’t work.

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View quartrsawn's profile


146 posts in 3236 days

#4 posted 06-27-2010 04:58 AM


-- Nat - West Sayville,L.I., NY

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

2370 posts in 3909 days

#5 posted 06-27-2010 06:34 PM

I’d try calling the manufacturer they might just send you one for free. ;~))))

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics