Beginner question.

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodturning forum

Forum topic by Leonardthecat posted 09-17-2016 10:05 PM 275 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Leonardthecat's profile


9 posts in 148 days

09-17-2016 10:05 PM

I’m new to wood turning and just picked up an old Dunlap lathe. I’ve been learning the ins and outs but it came with a faceplate on the left side of the head stock. Now I can’t seem to figure out the use for this. I can understand using it for turning bowls and such because there’s no limit on the clearance but would I just not use a tool rest? That doesn’t seem right to me. Thanks!

3 replies so far

View MrUnix's profile


4028 posts in 1619 days

#1 posted 09-17-2016 10:17 PM

Google “Outboard tool rest

Basically a tool rest (usually on a heavy mobile stand), so you can use the outboard end of your lathe to turn stuff. You obviously can’t use the one that is on the lathe bed :)


-- Brad in FL - To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid

View Leonardthecat's profile


9 posts in 148 days

#2 posted 09-17-2016 10:21 PM

Okay well that makes sense, I’ll have to look into it. Thanks much!

View runswithscissors's profile


2127 posts in 1445 days

#3 posted 09-18-2016 03:11 AM

Check to see whether the face plate can be switched over to the right side of the head stock. Should be able to. Lets you turn smaller diameter bowls.

-- I admit to being an adrenaline junky; fortunately, I'm very easily frightened

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics