• Advertise with us

« back to Coffee Lounge forum

Forum topic by GMman posted 06-15-2010 03:42 AM 1406 views 0 times favorited 15 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View GMman's profile


3902 posts in 3693 days

06-15-2010 03:42 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question

Can any USA member tell me what is called a Green card in the US.

15 replies so far

View Mary Anne's profile

Mary Anne

1058 posts in 3204 days

#1 posted 06-15-2010 03:47 AM

Basically it is a card, green in color, that proves a person has legal status as a permanent resident of the US.
Here is a link Green Card that will tell you probably more than you want to know.

View Chelios's profile


568 posts in 3062 days

#2 posted 06-15-2010 03:49 AM

Permanent resident status for a person from a different nationality than American. It allows people to live and work in the US legally.

I hope this clarifies your question


View richgreer's profile


4541 posts in 3070 days

#3 posted 06-15-2010 03:51 AM

I’m not an expert. However, as I understand it, a green card allows someone who is not a US citizen to live and work in the US under some stipulated conditions.

Before I retired from my professional career I had hired some people to work for me on a green card. The employer had to fill out a number of forms and follow a number of procedures primarily for the purpose of documenting the fact that the employer was unable to hire a US citizen with the necessary skills. Fortunately for me, we had specialists in my company that handled all the paperwork for me.

As I understand it, most people in the US with green cards were working towards acquiring citizenship so they would not have to return.

In one case, I had a green card employee that simply could not do the job I hired him for. I terminated him and his termination resulted in deportation. I felt bad, but I had no choice. He could not do the job.

-- Rich, Cedar Rapids, IA - I'm a woodworker. I don't create beauty, I reveal it.

View PurpLev's profile


8535 posts in 3644 days

#4 posted 06-15-2010 03:58 AM

FYI , these days, the green card is not really green in color ;) not for many years.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View GMman's profile


3902 posts in 3693 days

#5 posted 06-15-2010 04:01 AM

Thanks to all for the info:

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile


18268 posts in 3672 days

#6 posted 06-15-2010 04:02 AM

Rich, I’ve had to keep all that stuff on file since the 80s, how do illegal aliens find a job? with illegal employeers?

-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View Ger21's profile


1074 posts in 3127 days

#7 posted 06-15-2010 04:59 AM

My Canadian wife has one. As was mentioned, it’s a permanent resident card. I believe it has to be renewed every 10 years, unless you become a citizen.

-- Gerry,

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

6940 posts in 3431 days

#8 posted 06-15-2010 07:11 AM

To get a “Green Card” you have to have a full medical checkup by a sponsored medical facility, have a background check, have a police check to verify no criminal background and pay all the fees associated with the immigration department – all this PRIOR to setting foot on the USA. On arrival you must produce the Xrays and the medical report, the background documents and the police check certification, part of which is an identity verification, plus your passport. The US immigration people at you point of entry check to see that you are indeed going to a job and that you have enough funds with you to live on for several months. Your finger prints and mug shot is taken and then you are issued with a SS card and number, then the “Green Card”. The SS card is because while in the US you must pay ALL taxes that US citizens pay – but don’t get to vote???? So taxation without representation is alive and well !!!!

Now I went all through this when I came to the US, and it really pisses me off that 20 million or so Illegals are allowed to circumvent the LAW I don’t believe that many would made it through the Legal way. I can’t understand why to Gov. does not ENFORCE it’s own bloody laws.

After 20 years I did become a US citizen. Yeah I probably know more about the constitution that a lot of people because I was tested on it, and I definitely passed my English language test – spoke better English than all of them at the Immigration office in San Antonio! I was sworn in by a buddy of mine who just happened to be a Federal Judge -so everything was kosher.

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View Boris 's profile


190 posts in 2911 days

#9 posted 06-15-2010 07:12 AM

I am Cuban, I have a green card, it gives me the status of permanent resident, I can do pretty much everything an American can do except vote, like Ger21 said I can renew it or become a citizen, I think what
richgreer was taking about is a type of visa that allow a person to be in the country for an specific reason college , work or tourism . And it is not really green like purplev said.

just curios. Why did you ask abut it?

View Karson's profile


35120 posts in 4396 days

#10 posted 06-15-2010 02:44 PM

I don’t remember having a green card. (Probably did) but I was 13 when we entered the USA, I became a citizen at 16 after my father became a citizen after 3 years. My mother was born American. So dad was able to become a citizen after 3 years. Then since both my parents were citizens, I could become one after 3 years.

My younger sister became a citizen automatically when my father became a citizen and my older sister, who had dual citizenship was able to become one by signing a form.

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia †

View mmh's profile


3676 posts in 3718 days

#11 posted 06-15-2010 03:22 PM

When I was born, Hawaii was only a territory of the USA. Showing my age! It’s interesting to see how many of us are not originally USA born and how the USA has grown. An international crowd is always more interesting and makes us appreciate what we have at home.

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

View GMman's profile


3902 posts in 3693 days

#12 posted 06-15-2010 03:48 PM

That is a big deal that green card I have not heard any of that here in Canada, we may have something that is similar.??

View GMman's profile


3902 posts in 3693 days

#13 posted 06-15-2010 03:50 PM

poopiekat could maybe give me the answer I think he lived on both US and Canada?

View tyskkvinna's profile


1310 posts in 2982 days

#14 posted 06-15-2010 03:57 PM

In Canada it is just called permanent residency. :)

-- Lis - Michigan - -

View GMman's profile


3902 posts in 3693 days

#15 posted 06-15-2010 04:01 PM

tyskkvinna so you mean we don’t have to through all that red tape they have in the US.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics