Solid panel thickness for doors

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by Zach117 posted 06-14-2010 08:13 PM 1420 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Zach117's profile


19 posts in 3061 days

06-14-2010 08:13 PM

I was wondering if there is a standard thickness to use for solid wood panels in cabinet doors. I have seen anywhere form 1/4”-5/8”. I am talking about shaker style, inset frame and panel doors. Does this depend on the width and height of the panel?

2 replies so far

View Kent Shepherd's profile

Kent Shepherd

2718 posts in 3287 days

#1 posted 06-14-2010 11:08 PM

I’m not sure there is a standard measurement for anything in the woodworking industry.

To me, a shaker door has a flat, not a raised panel. We typically use 1/4” plywood for the panels, but sometimes the customer wants solid wood. Then, to get the same flat panel look, we raise the panel to the back. I’m not sure what the finished thickness of the panel is, but it is the measurement from the front of the groove to the back of the door. Of course that depends on the position of the groove in the frame and how thick the frame is. We make the panel flush with the back of the door.

Hope this helps


View Zach117's profile


19 posts in 3061 days

#2 posted 06-14-2010 11:41 PM

Yes, Kent I am talking a about a solid flat panel. I have seen the raised panel flipped to the back, I guess I need to go in that direction. The thickness of raised panel doors. Thanks.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics