Burl Stabilization ?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodturning forum

Forum topic by Redoak49 posted 09-08-2016 10:27 PM 557 views 0 times favorited 1 reply Add to Favorites Watch
View Redoak49's profile


3524 posts in 2133 days

09-08-2016 10:27 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question maple burl lathe turning

I have a piece of maple burl that is 1-1/2” square by 6”. It is dry and fairly light and I think I need to stabilize it before turning. There are no obvious hole or inclusions.

I have read about stabilizing hurls and many talk about using a vacuum treatment to pull the stabilizing fluid into the burl. I do not have a vacuum chamber and not likely to get one.

What can I use to soak this piece in to stabilize it?

1 reply so far

View Dan's profile


722 posts in 2037 days

#1 posted 09-09-2016 04:53 AM

I asked the same question at a woodworking/lumber place I use. The guy who seemed to know what he was talking about recommended soaking lighter color wood in Benite Wood Sealer and darker wood in MinWax Wood Hardener. The Benite won’t darken the wood near as much as Minwax, he said.

A quart was 20 dollars so not cheap and I have not used it yet.

Deft Clear Wood Finish is recommended by Steven Russell for stabilizing small quantities and it is probably a lot cheaper.

-- Dan

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics