|Forum topic by Woodcanuck||posted 06-11-2010 03:28 PM||1217 views||0 times favorited||2 replies|
06-11-2010 03:28 PM
I’ve never tried segmented turning before, but I decided to try it in the marble tower I’m building. See the link here: http://lumberjocks.com/Woodcanuck/blog/16213
I’ve done the initial turning (as you’ll see near the bottom of the post) and I’m not as happy with the result as I’d like to be. Two main issues I see:
I believe I understand why these things have happened (not enough time spent preparing the segments when I did the initial glue up and turning endgrain and probably not sharpening/honing my tools often enough).
I’m looking for advice on how to deal with both of these issues now that they’re staring me in the face.
My plan right now is to try making up some woodfiller for the gaps with some ash sawdust and woodglue and to go back and sharpen the heck out of my bowl gouge and scrapers and see if I can trim things down a little to reduce some of the tearout.
Let me know what you think would work best and any tips on avoiding these problems in the future.
-- Ian - Life's a game, if you don't play, you can't win.