How do you get wood like this?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by smijw posted 06-09-2010 11:45 PM 2055 views 0 times favorited 13 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View smijw's profile


7 posts in 3084 days

06-09-2010 11:45 PM

I love the look of the wood in the link below. How do you go about getting/making something like this? I’ve search to buy edge banded wood but with little luck. I have a 13” planer but would need wider pieces for what I would want to do. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

13 replies so far

View live4ever's profile


983 posts in 3186 days

#1 posted 06-10-2010 12:08 AM

Do you mean making panels of laminated boards?

One option is to make panels 13” (or less) wide at a time. THat way you can utilize your planer to do most of the planing work. Then glue them together. You would only need to worry about leveling one (or two?) joint, which is easily done by hand. Using splines to align the subpanels would also help with alignment.

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

View a1Jim's profile


117276 posts in 3753 days

#2 posted 06-10-2010 12:35 AM

I think L4 E has it handled

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View tyskkvinna's profile


1310 posts in 3161 days

#3 posted 06-10-2010 01:25 AM

I really like how that looks!

You could also do it with plywood and veneers, if you aren’t comfortable flattening laminated wood. (I recently tried to do that, and found it impressively difficult for my skill-set)

-- Lis - Michigan - -

View LONGHAIR's profile


94 posts in 3990 days

#4 posted 06-10-2010 01:30 AM

That seems very expensive for a simple box with butt joints and end grain staring at me…...

View JerrySats's profile


237 posts in 3786 days

#5 posted 06-10-2010 01:33 AM

The BORGs sell panels already glued up like those . I know the Blue one carries it for sure , you’ll have to check the Orange one .

View smijw's profile


7 posts in 3084 days

#6 posted 06-10-2010 03:28 AM

Thanks for the responses!

live4ever/tyskkvinna…I guess I’m more novice than I thought, what do you mean laminated boards? I thought this was hardwood strips glued up to make panels. Doesn’t laminated boards mean veneer?

LONGHAIR…I completely agree, that’s why I was going to try to make them. Had some pretty crazy quotes on the aluminum though so tack on the cost of the wood and its getting competitive to buy but still on the bubble.

JerryS…I’ve seen edge glued boards at both stores but the quality looks nothing like this, looks cheap with tons of knots.


View live4ever's profile


983 posts in 3186 days

#7 posted 06-10-2010 04:56 AM

We’re saying the same thing…you’re probably right that technically speaking laminating probably refers to gluing up boards on their faces as opposed to edgewise.

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

716 posts in 3794 days

#8 posted 06-10-2010 05:07 AM

All that manufacturer did was come up with a design that he could make from scrap.

-- Don, Pittsburgh

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile


18380 posts in 3851 days

#9 posted 06-10-2010 07:32 AM

I’l make those for that price all day long:-))

-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View childress's profile


841 posts in 3717 days

#10 posted 06-10-2010 07:48 AM

Laminating wood technically means gluing two or more pieces together.

What you see in the link is more than likely Parawood from the rubbertree. This is the stuff used in oversees construction of furniture like coffe and dining tables to kitchen karts and the like. You might be able to locate it in sheets somewhere, but the stuff at home depot is usually made from some sort of pine or other softwood, but basically the same thing, a laminated panel

-- Childress Woodworks

View childress's profile


841 posts in 3717 days

#11 posted 06-10-2010 07:53 AM

I just looked at the link again and noticed it said english walnut. When you hit the product link it shows a closeup of the wood and it doesn’t look like parawood, so maybe it is english walnut. But it is laminated with small pieces that are probably finger jointed together…

-- Childress Woodworks

View m88k's profile


83 posts in 3127 days

#12 posted 06-10-2010 02:20 PM

My local Lowes and Home Depot are more like smijw’s I think. The only edge-glued panels are knotty pine or similar. However, seeing as you’re in Cincinnati, you may have Menards as an option. Typically the least knowledgeable staff, but they’ve got the best hardwood selection of the three, and carry panels like this up to 2 inches thick in red oak. My local stores also carry aspen, maple, and clear pine panels, but they’re all in 3/4 thickness for the most part. The stuff’s gorgeous for store grade, but the price isn’t exactly friendly. (Hey, you’re buying hardwood at a big-box) Menards carries these boards in all sorts of dimensions, and I think they offer to order any of the sizes they don’t carry at the local store.

You’re best off manufacturing the boards at home, but Menards is an option if you have more money than time.

What would you make the door from? That seems like the bigger challenge to me. (If you wanted to replicate it directly)

-- ~Mark

View davidpettinger's profile


661 posts in 3376 days

#13 posted 06-10-2010 03:40 PM

If you are looking to make the unit from plywood, here are a couple of sources I have used for edge banding material.

-- Methods are many,Principles are few.Methods change often,Principles never do.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics