Grandfather's Antique tool collection....

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Sam_Fox posted 06-06-2010 03:44 AM 2229 views 0 times favorited 11 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Sam_Fox's profile


29 posts in 3228 days

06-06-2010 03:44 AM

I was at my Grandma’s today and she offered me all of my grandfathers antique tools since she is selling the place… So I plan to lightly clean them up and hang them on the wall just like he had done in his shop… Some are woodworking, some are farm use but honestly, other than the planes wrenches and level I really don’t know what they are for…

Turns out the middle plane is a SORBY, I don’t see any markings on the smaller plane, but it sure looks like a Stanley (all the adjustments still work)... Oh and I really cut myself bad on the thing with a large blade (any idea what it was used for?).... and I found the adjustable wrench on the bottom right pretty neat…

Anyway, If anyone has any insight on some of these tools please share….

I miss you Grandpa.


11 replies so far

View a1Jim's profile


117115 posts in 3601 days

#1 posted 06-06-2010 04:08 AM

Cool tools I love to look at old tools.

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View uffitze's profile


199 posts in 2979 days

#2 posted 06-06-2010 04:22 AM

FYI … the “pliers” second from the bottom left is a saw set, the “scissors” are probably shears for shearing sheep. the auger is probably useful if you want to sharpen it up, and I’d guess from the fact that these appear to be farm tools that the small drawkife looking tool (above the big knife) was used for scraping hides.

View davidpettinger's profile


661 posts in 3224 days

#3 posted 06-06-2010 04:50 AM

The big knife is for butchering. The wooden piece at the top is a neck yoke for horse harnessing to a wagon or a drafting tongue( also known as an evener). Below the knife are shearing shears. The pliers below look like hog ring pliers, the one on the left looks like an ear punch for ear tags. The wrench wouldn’t happen to say Case on it would it?

-- Methods are many,Principles are few.Methods change often,Principles never do.

View Sam_Fox's profile


29 posts in 3228 days

#4 posted 06-06-2010 05:14 AM

I would have to really clean it up to see, but I don’t think so. There is a bunch of other box wrenches for square bolts and most of these have “BR” on them. I am really interested in the tool second from the right on the bottom and the one far left on the bottom; these both have me puzzled.

The one on the left is some sort of lifting clamp, As you pull on the ring the two halves clamp together, but not sure what they are supposed to clamp… maybe rope?

The tool on the top right is an old jack… it might still work, it turns freely enough….


View swirt's profile


2780 posts in 2996 days

#5 posted 06-06-2010 05:19 AM

Don’t put the planes on a shelf, put em to use. ;) Provided that they are not cracked or otherwise broken, they’ll work well.

-- Galootish log blog,

View cyoutdoors's profile


1 post in 2954 days

#6 posted 06-06-2010 06:10 AM

The Item on the bottom left looks like it might have been use to help stretch Barbwire fence and the Pliers with the thumb screw looks like the ones my Dad use to put in rings in his Pigs nose to keep them from rooting out of their pin.

View knotscott's profile


8056 posts in 3400 days

#7 posted 06-06-2010 12:10 PM

That’s a great collection. Those would even make a cool display on a wall in the house. Enjoy!

-- Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

View DAWG's profile


2850 posts in 3161 days

#8 posted 06-06-2010 01:28 PM

Great tools Sam, thanks for sharing. My Grandfather passed almost twenty years ago and my grandmother is now in a nursing home. So last week while I was at her house cutting grass I started going through my grandfathers shed and found some old tools. One of them was a jack that looks exactly like yours in the picture except it has a top piece that flips over. I can’t wait to make a shelf for these special tools in my shop and I’m sure you feel the same way. Thanks again for sharing.

-- Luke 23: 42-43

View barryvabeach's profile


159 posts in 3068 days

#9 posted 06-06-2010 01:38 PM

The plane on the lower right is called a transitional plane. It could be a Stanley – though the handle makes me think it might be another co – see the pictures here for a number of different types

View allthunbs's profile


25 posts in 2943 days

#10 posted 06-06-2010 01:43 PM

bottom row, second from the right looks like an extension ladder jack. The thing that holds an extension ladder, extended. Still used today.

View SnowyRiver's profile


51457 posts in 3504 days

#11 posted 06-06-2010 02:33 PM

Great get…gotta love the old tools.

-- Wayne - Plymouth MN

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics