horizontal or vertical first which one

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by jtlighting posted 05-29-2010 06:36 PM 1047 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View jtlighting's profile


27 posts in 3106 days

05-29-2010 06:36 PM

im currently working on my indestructable dresser for my son “the human wrecking ball” and i have the case assembled with the base now i want to hide all the plywood edges so i got some 1/4 in poplar and ripped it to width now heres my question when applying this to the face of the case do i do the horizontal or the vertical runs first which one the whole thing will most likely end up being painted any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance to all those who respond….


7 replies so far

View a1Jim's profile


117276 posts in 3752 days

#1 posted 05-29-2010 06:52 PM

If I understand your question your talking about the stiles and Rails for your panels. I usually cut the longest materials first. If your wanting to know how the panels are made the stile (vertical up right sides) are the longest members made long enough to have the rails (horizontal members) in between the two Rails.

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

10983 posts in 3603 days

#2 posted 05-29-2010 06:59 PM

And, I’d run the rails across the ends of the tops and bottoms of the stiles. So at least one rail (top one) is installed first.

-- Gene 'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

View rcs47's profile


194 posts in 3304 days

#3 posted 05-29-2010 07:04 PM

Typical construction has the side vertical face (stiles) run through and the top horizontal face (rails) butts into the vertical. The interior stiles butt into the top rail, with the interior rails between the stiles.

If you think of your project as edging each panel prior to assembly, it should answer your question. I would not want a piece of edging crossing an end panel, even if it is painted, you will see it.

-- Doug - As my Dad taught me, you're not a cabinet maker until you can hide your mistakes.

View jtlighting's profile


27 posts in 3106 days

#4 posted 05-29-2010 07:32 PM

actually i may have not explained myself too well its not for the drawers or the sides its for i guess u would call it a face frame of sort only it would be connected to the case itself i think they call it edge banding but its not the iron on kind i milled it myself out of 1/4 in poplar and i want to attach it to the face of the cabinet with glue i need t know which woud go on first the vertical or the horizontal pieces


View a1Jim's profile


117276 posts in 3752 days

#5 posted 05-29-2010 07:48 PM

It works the same the vertical members go all the way top to bottom and the horizontal go in between

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View thatwoodworkingguy's profile


375 posts in 3105 days

#6 posted 05-29-2010 08:21 PM

listen to jim. That was my thought as well.
Cant wait to see the finished piece

-- ~Eagle America~ ~Woodcraft~

View Ger21's profile


1075 posts in 3306 days

#7 posted 05-30-2010 02:53 AM

Two end stiles first, followed by the top and bottom rails. After the perimeter, verticals first, followed by horizontals

-- Gerry,

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics