|Forum topic by mike02130||posted 08-08-2016 07:34 PM||545 views||0 times favorited||15 replies|
08-08-2016 07:34 PM
I’ve been in the market for a scrub plane. I don’t care for the Stanley/LN versions. I checked out an ECE wooden model that was in the $130.00 range, then I looked to see what the Epay Pimps were offering and after being disgusted by that lot, I remembered I had an old rusty seized up Stanley No4 plane I found in a barn. I figured I’d make a feeble yet valiant attempt to save that plane.
The thing was welded together with rust. I soaked every screw with Liquid Wrench and let it sit overnight. I removed the blade and proceeded to remove the frog screws. One came out easily and the other had a damaged head and was stuck. I took it to the drill press and drilled out the head. The frog was stuck on the sole and I had to knock it loose with a mallet. I center punched the screw and then I chucked up a #25 drill bit and drilled through the old screw. I then used a 10-24 tap and cut new threads.
I placed the frog in a vise and tried to work the brass nut off with a pair of channel locks. It was locked to the screw. The screw started turning but before it came out the casting broke. Oh well, I took a cold chisel and busted the fork off and out of the way of the blade.
I had no choice but to take it to a wire wheel. I put it back together using a new allen screw and washer. It snugged up tight.
I put the blade back in and that’s it for now. There is no adjuster, but that may work out better, seeing that it will be a scrub. The tools I used other than a grinder and drill press were,,,,,,
This is what it looks like now,
The next step will be to camber and sharpen the blade and file the throat.
-- If the tool was invented after the Depression, I don't need it.