Different Kind of Key Inlay for Slab Bench

  • Advertise with us

« back to Joinery forum

Forum topic by docspencer posted 07-03-2016 09:24 PM 794 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View docspencer's profile


374 posts in 2094 days

07-03-2016 09:24 PM

I have a walnut slab that I want to use for a bench. It has two rather large cracks on each end. Rather than cut off the ends I wanted to try my hand as some sort of key inlay. I’d rather not use butterfly keys. Instead, I was thinking of some kind of curved inlay. Perhaps a “c” shape? Or an “s” curve? My question is will something like this properly stabilize the crack?

2 replies so far

View gfadvm's profile


14940 posts in 2838 days

#1 posted 07-04-2016 12:07 AM

As long as the grain of the inlay is perpendicular to the crack, well fitted, and well glued, it should stabilize the crack. I’ve been thinking about round inlays of progressively decreasing sizes to stabilize cracks (but the bowties are hard to beat for adding eye appeal).

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Daveyav8r's profile


1 post in 621 days

#2 posted 08-19-2018 02:50 PM

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I’m working on a project for some friends and it will require some keys, but I thought it’d be cool to place my “signature” on it with the keys.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics