round vs convex spokeshave

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by jimmyhopps posted 06-30-2016 04:39 PM 419 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View jimmyhopps's profile


224 posts in 1982 days

06-30-2016 04:39 PM

are these the same thing? i see veritas does not sell a ‘convex spokeshave’ so wondering if the rounded is the same.

4 replies so far

View Andre's profile


1198 posts in 1409 days

#1 posted 06-30-2016 06:27 PM

Same thing, Look at the L.N. brass combo set, Fantastic tools!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View jbee's profile (online now)


50 posts in 298 days

#2 posted 07-01-2016 12:06 AM

I was just looking at spokeshaves last night. Same question—

I came to the following conclusion:

convex = curved = rounded

-- Life is good! Make the most of it.

View runswithscissors's profile


2371 posts in 1628 days

#3 posted 07-01-2016 12:38 AM

There are both types—innies and outies. The innies are for rounding (as used to be done with wagon wheel spokes—hence “spokeshave”). The outies are for hollowing. They also come straight (for and aft) and curved or rockered. Very handy tools.

-- I admit to being an adrenaline junky; fortunately, I'm very easily frightened

View Tim's profile


3319 posts in 1564 days

#4 posted 07-03-2016 02:34 AM

They actually can be rounded three ways. Convex is for hollowing, concave is for spokes and spindles. Both of those are rounded from side to side. Then they can also be rounded front to back to get into even smaller radius curves. That can go all the way from a slight curve up to the cigar type spokeshaves.

When someone says round spokeshave it’s just not very specific. Could be any one of the three.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics