What is it?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by dclev posted 06-29-2016 10:07 PM 956 views 1 time favorited 10 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View dclev's profile


3 posts in 782 days

06-29-2016 10:07 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question

I got this set in a box at a tool sale and I am not sure what they are. Any help?

10 replies so far

View KelleyCrafts's profile


3062 posts in 825 days

#1 posted 06-29-2016 10:16 PM

Side view pick would help and some sizes would need to be known AND I’m probably wrong here by a long shot but they look like mortising chisels to me but these could be 20’ long or 3”….not sure.

-- Dave - - pen blanks - knife scales - turning tools

View bbasiaga's profile


1239 posts in 2081 days

#2 posted 06-29-2016 10:22 PM

Almost looks like a morse taper on the end. Maybe made to go in a lathe tailstock or some kind of mill or press cutting machine?

-- Part of engineering is to know when to put your calculator down and pick up your tools.

View dhazelton's profile


2787 posts in 2382 days

#3 posted 06-29-2016 10:32 PM

Is the round part hollow as for a mortising machine?

View dclev's profile


3 posts in 782 days

#4 posted 06-30-2016 02:56 AM

They are about 6”-8” and the base is solid. I though that they might be mortising chisel too but I have not been able to find any like them.

View Ralph's profile


167 posts in 2219 days

#5 posted 06-30-2016 04:07 AM

A very, very, long shot-
This week Roy, from the Woodwright shop, used a foot powered mortising machine invented by the Shakers. In describing the machine, he said the chisel had a Morse taper in it. A neat machine.
That’s all I can offer.

-- The greatest risk is not taking one...

View Woodknack's profile


12243 posts in 2466 days

#6 posted 06-30-2016 04:17 AM

I had the same thought as Ralph, mortise chisels for an old foot powered mortiser. Email Ed at the Woodwright’s tool store, he’ll tell you what they are. Email is on the page below.

-- Rick M,

View Andre's profile


1963 posts in 1892 days

#7 posted 06-30-2016 06:49 AM

Homemade chisels.

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View CharlesNeil's profile


2426 posts in 3956 days

#8 posted 06-30-2016 04:35 PM

+1 to Roy and Ed , I visited him and filmed it,

If you watch I actually used the mortiser, I agree these are mortise chisels

View dclev's profile


3 posts in 782 days

#9 posted 06-30-2016 04:39 PM

Look around and it looks like it is to a foot powered Mortiser

View diverlloyd's profile


2939 posts in 1943 days

#10 posted 06-30-2016 09:08 PM

Looks like chisels made from old industrial air hammer hammers. I have a bucket of broken ones for knife making, really nice metal and it was free.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics