Replacing inset hinges

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by t_brown posted 04-20-2010 02:58 PM 2933 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View t_brown's profile


6 posts in 3121 days

04-20-2010 02:58 PM

My kitchen cabinets currently have hinges similar to these – – and I am wondering if I can replace them with some European style concealed hinges? I don’t think i could use standard ones but does anyone make some that would work? Thanks

4 replies so far

View kolwdwrkr's profile


2821 posts in 3587 days

#1 posted 04-21-2010 05:52 AM

-- ~ Inspiring those who inspire me ~

View Chuck Shellem's profile

Chuck Shellem

36 posts in 2991 days

#2 posted 04-21-2010 10:05 PM

The European hinges seem to have a couple of different mount types: Face frame (which looks like what your link shows) and frameless. Then there is the overlay issue. As I recall: ‘full-overlay’ was for single door installation, ‘half-overlay’ was for two doors that open against each other… uh, hinges mounted between the doors, and finally ‘inset’ which is when the doors are mounted flush to the cabinet face. I talked to someone at Lee Valley who was pretty patient with me. I got the right ones and they work. If you by them make sure you get a set. Apparently you can buy the parts separate, at least for Blum hinges.,41241

-- -- Chuck S.

View Michael Murphy's profile

Michael Murphy

453 posts in 3002 days

#3 posted 04-22-2010 12:21 AM

Most of those euro hinges come as hinges and separate plates or cabinet pieces so you can change overlays. There used to be some 3/8 inset types but I haven’t seen any in a while. Usually those 3/8 inset doors did not have much of an overlap on the frame, the door might be 1/2” bigger than the opening giving a 1/4” overlay. They all have some adjustment in and out to adjust the overlay.

-- Michael Murphy, Woodland, CA.

View t_brown's profile


6 posts in 3121 days

#4 posted 06-23-2010 02:55 AM

So i am finally getting around to this project, but things are not quite what i thought. I do not actually have inset doors, I have partial overlay doors. I am having a bit of trouble determining which hinges to get though and how overlay sizes work. I measured a single door, and then measured the opening that door came from. The door was 1/2” larger than the opening, this would lead me to believe i have 1/4” overlay hinges? I am having trouble locating 1/4” overlay though. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thank a lot


Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics